More Time with Amy

In the morning the first thing I grabbed for was my phone. With high hopes I hesitated to look for a moment trying to guess what the message (if any) would say… maybe comforting me that he was alright, or what was going on. No use to torture myself, I threw my eyes open still blurry with sleep and squinted in the bright light of my screen.

…Nothing…

‘Oh Shadow where are you!?’ I moaned thumping my head back on the pillow.

“Son you feeling alright?” Dad poked his head in the room, “Your telling my sensors you’re feeling a little ill.”

I sighed sitting up and tossed the covers off, “I’m fine. Just my friend I was waiting to hear from never got back to me.”

“Oh, don’t be so down you’ll see them at school now won’t you?”

“…yeah…” I grumbled dragging my feet to my sock drawer to get ready.

I walked to school slowly and gave Shadow another text maybe this one could get his attention this time. If he was on good behavior maybe he’d be at school today! I arrived on campus meeting my now usual group of friends.

“Hey Sonic.” Silver waved.

“Hey.” I nodded looking around. Shadow would usually make it after the busses. I looked to my left, no busses yet.

“Looking for someone?” Knuckles asked watching me.

“Where’s Rouge?” I asked, maybe she’d know where he is.

“What’s up big blue?” She looked up from a book she was browsing with Blaze.

“Do you know where Shadow might be?”

“Aside anger management classes, extra training and more pitiful duties like errand runner for the general and commander? …No I haven’t seen him. He’s locked himself away somewhere and no one has been able to get a hold of him.”

My ears went down and my shoulders collapsed forward as a let out a groan.

“He went from making you his punching bag, and now you want him around?” Silver asked curiously.

“I think Shadow liked Sonic all along, he’s just not a ‘people person’ and doesn’t know how to make friends the ‘friendly’ way.” Blaze said, “I.. kind of have the same problem only I don’t go around beating people up.”

Heh yeah… ‘friends’…

“Sonic!!” Amy cried from the busses that I forgot all about. Oh crud I was supposed to talk the group into letting her stay and hang out in the mornings! She skipped to my side again hooking her arm with mine.

“It’s nice out today isn’t it? No jacket this time around!” She said cheerfully. No one answered, and turned their back, even Silver!

“Heeyy,” I started before she noticed they all still didn’t like her, “I’m going to eat breakfast! Wanna come with me Amy?” I needed something to get her away from everybody so they wouldn’t cause any more problems.

“Oh sure!” She nodded happily and like planned never noticed that she wasn’t wanted around.

Only I wasn’t really hungry… I got in line and nothing seemed to grab my attention. I just picked whatever was on the end of the line… 2 Egg and potato wrapped in tortillas. Eh not my choice of breakfast but it’ll be something to hold over till lunch.

“I already ate something at home…” I admitted when we sat down, “And I’m not too fond of tortillas.”

“Here lets trade!” She said with a giggle, “I got poptarts because they were only 50 cents each. I don’t really eat breakfast because I need to save up on my lunch account, if I’m going to eat real food and not that stuff they want to call a ‘hamburger’.” She switched our trays. “Besides this will hold me over way better than those would.”

“Oh… heh I’m on free lunch.”

“Oh really? That must be hard then huh?”

“Well it helps out around the house I guess. My dad is on retirement due to injury and mom is the only one bringing in an income to make sure we live comfortably.”

“Oh. But then I guess you can’t go to the snack bar either then?” She looked up from the food.

“Nope.” I shook my head, “Do you?”

“Yeah! There’s no way I’d eat what they have here! At the snack bar you can get a personal pizza, without the nasty crummy bits on the bottom. And a Mobi-Island chilidog instead of those mystery meatball subs that’s over run with the flavor of tomato sauce.”

“A chili dog?!” My mouth watered from the thought of one of those babies. A Mobi-Island chili dog is from the huge amusement park called; well ‘Mobi-Island’! Their chilidogs are about a half a foot long with teaming hot spicy chili perfectly diced onions and angelic melted cheese on top!! You can get those at school!?

“Of course I never got one here before but I saw them on the rack. I didn’t want to get them because they are a bit messy and… chili on the face and clothes wouldn’t look good the rest of the day…” She went on almost thinking to herself.

“Well, I had them a few times my Uncle Chuck took me. They were messy but SO worth it.” I laughed.

She nodded laughing as well, “No kidding! But this is School we’re talking about, I’m sure they messed up the chili recipe for sure, it wouldn’t be the same.”

The bell rung and Amy and I walked her to class as I passed it while I was going to mine. I met Silver half way there and walked with him the rest of the way.

“Shadow didn’t show up while I was gone did he?” I asked.

“No.” He answered simply.

“Oh…” Which was a good thing anyway; I’m sure he wouldn’t like to see me with Amy anyway, “So much for good behavior huh?”

“Oh well.” He shrugged and opened the door walking in. I followed after him sitting at my desk quickly glancing down at my phone remembering I sent Shadow a text before I arrived and had actually managed to forget. I thumped my head down on the desk, still nothing. I was getting angry and irritated, with my worries of what might be happening with him.