Chapter 1

Freya's POV

15 years later...

My heart skips a beat as I wait infront of the ballroom doors for the guard to announce my name before I enter. This was my second ball in two years and I couldn't help but feel nervous.

"Now announcing her majesty princess Freya Light." I hear the man say before doors are pulled open. I take one big breath before I descend the steps down. All eyes are on me and I feel a bit jittery.

My parents are waiting at the bottom of the stairs for me. My dad holds out his arm for me to take. I quickly grab hold of his arm in order to steady my jelly legs.

"Thank you all for coming to this ball in celebration of our daughter's eighteenth birthday. We hope you enjoy it with us." My father said before the music started to play. Everybody started to get a dance partner for the first dance and I saw a man heading my way. Being a princess I knew how to dance but it was still a scary experience because I feared I would step on my partner's toes.

My mom saw the young man heading this way and grabbed me by the arm before she whispered, "Enjoy yourself Freya." Before she grabbed my dad by his arm and lead him to the dance floor, leaving me alone to deal with this strange man.

"Good evening princess Freya, I'm Prince Oswald Strange." He said as he bows.

I return his bow with a small curtsy ,"It's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance Mr Strange."

"The pleasure is all mine. May I have this dance." He said as he held out his hand for me.

I placed my small hand into his big one before I was swept away to the dance floor. We danced until the end of the song before another young man asked for a dance. I agreed before I was once again on the dance floor.

As the fifth man for the evening spun me around I noticed my brother, Javier, was also dancing with a blonde woman. I kept my eyes focused on the pair waiting to catch a glimpse of who he was dancing with.

When the woman turned around I was not surprised to see Auliria, the elven princess in the arms of my brother. A grin formed on my face as I watched them twirling about. They had grins on their faces and I could see they were enjoying each others company immensely.

My brother was hopelessly in love with Auliria. He was in love with her since they were children but he could never bring himself to tell her. I just hoped he did before someone else took her first.

I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice the song had ended. I quickly bpwed to my companion before I decided to go get some fresh air.

The sound of the music drowns out as the glass doors close behind me. I walk closer to the railing of the balcony and stare at the stary sky.

I inhale a big breath of fresh air as I take in the silence. I feel relieved being outside of the stuffy ballroom. My feet were sore and I was glad I could take a break from it all. Even though I have not attended many balls in my life they still got overbearing sometimes.

Since my powers developed from a young age I was never allowed to leave the castle or to attend a ball. The only ball I was allowed to attend was my sixteenth birthday ball when I was allowed for the first time to display some of my powers. The second ball was tonight's ball for my eighteenth birthday.

I knew my parents were only trying to protect me from being used from my powers, but sometimes it got too much. I wanted an adventure but knew that was never destined for me. I felt so trapped by these wall.

A sigh escaped my lips as I leaned against the railing dreaming of what it might be like outside these castle walls.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?" A voice said behind me and I quickly spun around. When I turned around I came eye to eye with dark blue eyes staring at me.