Chapter Fifteen/Part Twelve: To Stop a Mountain

The magician popped up behind them once again, putting all thoughts of his shadow out of Silver’s mind.  He threw an almost desperate spell at Mars.  Silver shoved Harley into its path, sighing in relief when it glanced off Harley’s arm and disappeared.  The boy grunted in annoyance, glared at Harley, and dematerialized again.  The giant began beating more enthusiastically at Mars’ shields.

Apparently, the magician’s plan was to wear them down, and it was working.  Mars was breathing harshly, and a steady ache pounded in Silver’s temples as she made another shield to defend them from behind.  Even Harley, for all his bland expressions and steady perusal of the scene, looked sore, bruised and battered.  They would need a different tactic if they wanted to get out of this alive.        

“Silver, I need you to take over my shields while I do something about that mountain.   Can you do that?”  Mars asked, still panting slightly.

Silver scoffed and turned away from her own shields.  “Of course!”

“Good,” Mars huffed, shoving the spells onto Silver who almost fell under the weight of them.  His spell-work was much more complicated and required he be attached to each spell.  She could feel it every time the mountain hammered at one, like a punch in the gut. 

Mars fashioned a small dart of magic and, studying the golem, decided where to take aim.

“What’s that going to do against all this,” Silver panted, as she kept the many shields up against the continuous attack. 

“Every spell has its weak point,” Mars muttered, eyes still scanning the spell.  His eyes lit on a small glimmer, slightly crooked, coming at an odd angle.  He grinned.  “Watch and learn, my adoring pupil.”  Silver barely had energy to roll her eyes as Mars took aim carefully.  “On my count, drop the shields.”

“What?” Silver said, voice laced with alarm.

“Silver, trust me.  I’m the last person in this world stupid enough to die.”

Well, that was true.   Silver nodded, sweat trickling into her eyes.  She just might drop the shields anyways.  Her strength was draining quickly.    

“Ready?”  Mars took aim and glanced at her.  She nodded.  “Okay, One, two, three, drop.” 

Silver dropped the shields and ducked, hands over her head, just in case.

Mars let his dart fly as the giant surged forward, finally free to move after being held back so long with the magic shields.        

            But Mars’ aim was true.  It hit the mountain directly on that crooked line, shattering the spell like glass, making the books, wood, and granite collapse in a mountainous, unmoving heap.  But instead of disappearing when it hit, the dart kept its course, straight at the magician’s heart.  Throwing himself to the side, the boy barely dodged. 

The dart exploded against a bookcase, toppling it into another bookcase behind it.  Both creaked heavily before falling like an axed tree, tumbling down six more bookcases with it.  Books leapt off their shelves, thundering to the ground and raising up clouds of dust and paper.