The Hike: Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Larissa

We reached a clearing near the top of the mountain five hours later.

"My legs feel like Jell-O," I said as I collapsed onto the ground.

Hudson dropped his backpack. "I'll get the tent up.

I wiggled out of my backpack and opened one of the pockets to grab a granola bar. "Hungry?"

"After the tent is up and I've got the fire going, I'll eat something" replied Hudson. "But if you could collect some kindling, that would be great."

Finishing the last bite, I threw the wrapper in my backpack and got up.

"Isn't this fun, babe?" he asked.

Sighing, I forced a smile. "Yup, the funnest."

Hudson found a nearby pinecone and tossed it at me. "Hey! That's not even a real word!" he said.

I laughed. "Look, I found our first piece of kindling."

Hudson flashed a perfect smile.

"Alright, Captain Fantastic," I said with an arched eyebrow. "If I'm not back in fifteen minutes, call the FBI."

As I bent down to pick up small sticks and fallen branches, I thought about my comfy bed and the Netflix marathon I'd rather be having instead of being out here. I loved Hudson, but I hated camping, bugs, and pretty much everything related to the outdoors.

I froze mid-step as the hair on the back of my neck stood up. "Hud? is that you?"

Snap!

My heart skipped a beat. "Hudson, that isn't funny!"

No response.

Snap!

I spun around, searching for the source of the sound.

A tremor spread through my being. All my senses elevated. The scent of the fall leaves became thick, the gentle breeze blowing through the air grew colder, and the bright colors dotting the autumn landscape magnified. Crouching down, I dropped the kindling and looked over my shoulder.

Where was that sound coming from?

"Larissa?"

My heart practically jumped into my throat.

"Where are you?"

"Hud, I'm here," I replied in a shaky voice.

He jogged over to me and wrapped me in a tight embrace. Pulling back, he studied my face. "What's wrong? You're as white as a ghost!"

"It-it-it's nothing," I stammered.

"It doesn't look like nothing." Hudson tipped up my chin and brushed his lips against mine. "You sure you're okay?"

I nodded. "I'm good. Promise."

Releasing me from his embrace, Hudson bent down and picked up the small pieces of wood I had gathered. "The tent is up and the fire pit has been dug."

Shaking my head, I checked over my shoulder one more time before linking arms with Hudson and heading back to the campsite. 

********

Cliffhangers,

Uh oh! What do you think Larissa heard in the woods? 0_0

Oh! Just a quick reminder! This short story is an entry for the #TNTHorrorContest. 

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo

P.S. All comments and votes are HUGELY appreciated! :) 

 All comments and votes are HUGELY appreciated! :)