TWO

Rewritten 25/05/2020

Chapter Two. The Quest Begins

I woke up early, but there was no sunlight pouring in through my window. The Sun hadn't even risen, but I felt awake. Perhaps it was the nerves, or maybe even the excitement? I couldn't quite tell. Everything just suddenly felt very distant and different.

I gently pulled myself up and threw my legs over the bed, deciding that even though the early morning was still quite dark, if I got ready to leave now it would mean I would have more time to look about my home for the last time. When the sun rose it would be the last sunrise I saw in Rivendell for a long time.

Pulling on my tunic and trousers, I had a strange feeling welling within me. I pulled on my soft-soled boots, disregarding the feeling as nervous energy. Once I was dressed, my hair brushed and sectioned, I picked up my quiver and slung it onto my back diagonally, tucking my dagger into its sheath on the side of my quiver, and took up my bow in my left hand after making sure my forearm guards were tight and secure.

Walking towards the door, I took one last look about my room. The thin curtains fluttered ever so slightly in the breeze. The old books on my bookshelf stood like soldiers, and the little lamp swayed in the breeze. The painted trees and flowers on the walls were barely visible in the dull light, but I took comfort in knowing they were there. My notebook I left on my pillow. Breathing out, I turned and walked down the stone hallway, my footsteps silent. Elves were known for being very light on their feet, being able to walk across snow and marsh with no problem whatsoever. With elegance. When I was younger my choice of footing was nowhere near as swift; often without thinking I would place my foot somewhere and all Elf abilities would crumble into sugar, causing me to fall over. It never helped me when I was with other Elves. Growing older and spending more time outside and exploring helped me find my agility, and some much needed grace.

It was still quite dark so I decided I would just wait outside and watch the sun rise in the sky. I stood on the bridge and looked out at the view, resting my arms and closing my eyes. The cool breeze played with my hair. I would miss this feeling. This feeling of peace. Of relaxation. Of home. But it was time for greater things. For better things. For the sake of Middle-earth.

"You're up early." I heard a soft voice from behind me. I turned around abruptly. It was Legolas. His pale blond hair looked white in the moonlight, his skin ghost-like, like paper. His eyes, however, remained as blue and bright as before.

"I could say the same thing for yourself." I noted. He smiled as I concluded, "Must be an Elf thing, then." His eyes glinted in the light of the moon. I smiled and turned back to the view momentarily.

"Quite possibly." I felt Legolas walk closer beside me, "I haven't introduced myself to you," He was looking at me directly, "I'm Legolas, son of Thranduil. From Mirkwood."

"I'm Astella," I gestured out towards the moonlit view, "I'm from Rivendell." Legolas's eyes followed my hand, and he smiled and leaned against the bridge. Stood next to me he looked out at Imaldris; he took everything in, scanning the place. I noticed his clothes were quite similar to me own, but more masculine. It was most likely he had been on journeys and adventures like this before. He too had a bow and arrows, the quiver draped over his shoulder diagonally, bow in hand, much like I did. I saw the wooden handles of two knives sticking out from behind his quiver, shining.

"It is rather nice here." He admitted, admiring the waterfalls and treetops, "It reminds me of home long ago."

"I guess there must be a lot of trees in Mirkwood, then." I replied. All I knew about Mirkwood and the woodland Elves was what I had been told in stories from Elrond, and from passages in books I had read. I had never been there myself. Legolas smiled at me, then looked down at my bow still held in my hand, held to my torso as I leaned against the bridge.