Chapter 23

As I stepped into the John F. Kennedy Airport in New York City, everything started to register to me a little more. Had I actually run away from everyone and everything back in London? It was weird. I felt disconnected from my entire life. I was out in public and I felt normal. I wasn’t being treated in any other way than everyone else.

I walked through Immigration and when I reached the desk I politely asked the worker to forget they saw me. I assured them that I hadn't just committed a serious crime and that I wasn't a fugitive. They were, of course, flustered and in shock but agreed.

I went to baggage claim and retrieved my duffel bag, the only bag I’d brought along. It had everything I figured I would need for a very long time. If it didn’t, I had hundreds of pounds on a debit card in my purse. I tried to make myself untraceable even though I knew it would be nearly impossible to stay under the radar forever. I didn’t turn my cell phone or use my credit card so that my parents couldn’t track me down. I’d brought hazel colored contacts that I’d purchased a while back in hopes that they would make me less recognizable. I also planned on getting a minor haircut – maybe some bangs or layers? My hair was currently in a bun, partly tucked under my beanie.

I hurried through the airport and caught a taxi outside. I asked the driver to take me to Manhattan, figuring I would find a hair salon somewhere in the city. The ride was rather long, I thought, but once we got to the city it was worth it. I’d only been to New York City once before and that was when I was nine.

It was daytime and the city was in full action. I watched as each person walked by. Today was an ordinary day for every one of them. They were going on with their daily activities – getting breakfast, going to work or school, talking with their friends. They could go out to get a cup of tea or coffee without a problem. They could go outside and get their mail without having to change out of their pajamas. They could say something without anybody caring. The worst thing of it all was that they didn’t even know how lucky they were.

I saw a couple of students walking by, backpacks on their shoulders and cups of Starbucks in their hands. I was suddenly struck with a brilliant idea – I could definitely do a college visit while I was in America! I could go visit UPenn as a normal girl. How cool would that be? Excitement flooded through my body and the idea to go get a haircut immediately took the backseat in my thoughts. I had to find the nearest tube. That was how I could get to Philadelphia, right? I could go to Central Grand Station or whatever it was called!

I told the cab driver to change routes and take me to the train station. I was all set.

* * *

I was completely exhausted from jet lag, but adrenaline was enough to keep me going through the bus and train ride. I was going to see the school of my dreams while living my dream of being someone else. How could this day get any better? I mean, I had lost my brother, gotten in a huge fight with my parents, and broken up with my boyfriend, but things were actually looking up. What if I just moved to America forever and took on a new life? That would be incredible. I could just leave all my troubles behind and start over! How had I never thought of this before?

The cab driver stopped the car along the side of the road in front of a Hyatt hotel. I read the meter and pulled out the correct amount of cash from my purse. I handed it to him and slid out of the car. The air smelled of smoke, obviously from the woman passing in front of me with a cigarette present between her fingers. It was warmer than London leading me to think that I had definitely dressed wrong. Jeans and a jumper had me sweating.

I went inside the enormous hotel and bought a room under a fake name. I didn’t need anyone tracking me down to the exact hotel that I was staying at. Once up in my room, I changed into an outfit suitable for the weather. After I took care of that, I went out to find the nearest hair salon.