Chapter 3

*Melody at the top

Her chilling words just kept replaying over and over again in my head,

"Oh and Serena, I would be careful who you trust. You never know which sibling might let it slip about what you are and don't try to deny it we all know about your gift."

I felt the water change around me, reflecting my inner feelings of confusion and anger. How dare she. Not only is Melody my sister, but I am her future queen. The betrayal was clear in her softly said sentence, she was letting me know she had an advantage over me. As the questions began forming in my head and a sickening feeling crept into my body I had to push them aside for now.

I took one last longing look into the crystal clear waters before I dived back in. I pushed myself to swim as fast as I could to go back to the kingdom. Reality had set in... I am the future queen and I needed to remember my place and my responsibilities. I was being incredibly selfish swimming away from home like that. The longer I remained in the open waters alone I was not only putting myself at risk but the lives of my loved ones.

The castle doors filled my vision faster than I expected them to but something was off. I could feel it. The fish weren't singing, the seaweed wasn't dancing and water surrounding the stone entrance was murky. My heart was beating out of my chest, and I immediately knew everything was about to change.

I entered the castle doors, and every single soldier immediately straightened their backs, illuminating their power and strength. Reaffirming that they were there to protect me and the kingdom no matter the cost. With a nod of gratitude to each soldier, I headed to the throne room to face my father.

I immediately spied a petite blonde in the corner of the enchanting room. Melody's eyes meet mine before quickly returning back to the ground. Her earlier tactic of intimidation was replaced with fear and embarrassment. She knew her words were uncalled for and would potentially have consequences. However, at the end of the day she is my sister and my family. Family always has each other's best intention at heart. Right? 

I reverted my eyes back to the center of the room and there he sat, raised on a jewel covered throne towering over me with his shinny triton. His strength and his power were seeping out of him. The anger was clear, and yet there was deep sadness in his eyes as he spoke

"I have made my decision Serena. Since it is no longer safe here, I am relocating you to a safer place, somewhere the hunters would never think to look for you. Tonight at midnight you will be leaving for the mainland, and your sister Melody will be accompanying you" he paused before slowly adding, "she insisted."

My stomach dropped and I had to blink back the water from leaving my eyes as I said, "Father I'm ready to do whatever it takes to protect my kingdom, even if it means leaving."

My bright green eyes met my father's icy blue and I knew deep down he didn't want me going, but we both knew this was the right choice. Sometimes having power means having responsibilities and making sacrifices.