Chapter 1

I gulped as I looked up at the intimidating size of my new school. Through my lenses, I could see that there were three buildings all connected with outside walkways, and a courtyard in the middle that was filled with students hanging out in their cliques. I saw the nerds, jocks, skaters, potheads-and pretty much any stereotype you could fit into a high school- circled in distinct small huddles. My eyes rested on the few lone people sitting against the wall and sighed. That's where I was going to be in a couple of hours.

Facing the facts I knew that I most likely wasn't going to make friends before the end of the year. I looked down at my clothes- they didn't help my social life either. My faded blue jeans and light gray sweater weren't exactly 'trendy'.  The thick glasses that covered most of my lightly freckled face- thanks to my laziness this morning to put in my contacts- and my stormy grey eyes were hidden under a mess of long raven-black hair didn't add to my case. I was just the new girl, and nobody would care in a school this big.

Sighing again i made my way to what I assumed was the front office. Opening the door, I came up to the secretary's desk and stopped behind a girl with bright red hair. The flowing, frizzy locks were all that was in my line of sight. I shifted my gaze around the room and tried not to eavesdrop on their conversation.

 "Miss. Melody, please just switch my classes back! He has no right to just waltz in here and screw up my perfect schedule, just so we can share classes! Just because he's my mate and your beta doesn't mean we should sit back and let the oaf walk all over us! We should stand up tall against their dominating nature and fight with all of our feminine power. Please, Miss. Melody? Woman to woman, can you help me?" I heard an exasperated sigh as the secretary replied, "I'm sorry Eva, you know my hands are tied. Even if he wasn't my bet- oh! hello there!" I felt my checks warm up as the women turned to face me. The girl- Eva- looked slightly pale. In a flash she was shaking me like a doll.

 "Oh god, you're human aren't you? Shit, you didn't hear any of that, did you? Please tell me you didn't! Ah shit, Will is going to kill me. Jonathan is too when he finds out." 

 "N-no." I stuttered out,  a little scared of the crazed look in her eye. Her coloring returned as I heard the door open and suddenly she was off of me and in a man's arms. The man wrapped his arms around her waist and leaned down to kiss her below her ear before whispering into it. I felt jealousy swirl in me, not of the man nor woman- but of what they shared. 

They obviously were in love, and I evied their connection. No man has ever looked at me the way this man was gazing at Eve- like he would take a bullet for her in an instant. Whatever he said must've angered her cause she lightly elbowed him and stepped out of his embrace. When he reached out to take her back she glared at him until he stopped moving.  

 "It's not my fault I was suddenly found too stupid by my teachers to stay in my AP classes, which strangely occurred around the time of our mati- er, relationship. You know I want to go to med school and they won't let me in unless I'm exceptionally smart. I have to do this Will." I hesitantly stepped around them to reach the front office lady when Eve squealed and grabbed my hand.  

 "Will, this is- I'm so sorry, I never caught your name!" Will smiled at her.  

 "That's because you talk too much babe, the poor thing probably never got a thought in." He teased her.  

"I'm Kaila."  

 "Nice to meet you Kaila, I'm Eve and this doofas right here is my boyfriend, Will. Now hurry up and get your schedule so I can show you around school and see how many classes we have together." I was shocked at her boldness, but quickly did as she asked, not wanting to lose a potential friend. Walking out of the front office Eve and Will were having a hushed conversation, I only could make out a few words.