Prologue (Chapter one): Juniper, Like the Bush

Play Cool Kids by Echosmith for the prologue

        I've always wondered what it's like to be normal. I've always wondered what it's like to be popular, to be loved by everyone. I guess I'll never know.

I look up at the stars, counting as many constellations as I can. Leo, Gemini, Little Dipper, Aries. It is my happy place, my comfort zone. The stars are the only things that don't judge me. My mom might care, but she is never home to talk, so I look at the stars and daydream my mind away.

The clouds close in and it starts to rain, that's Washington for you. I sigh, pulling out of my trance. I slide my phone out of my pocket and check the time. Two thirty in the morning. I groan, I've been out here for five hours. School is not going too be fun tomorrow, but when is it ever anyway?

I run upstairs and quickly brush my teeth, the bristles sweeping against my gums. I slip into a loose T-shirt and a pair of dark shorts. I crawl into my bed and sink my head into the pillow, listening to the rain lightly tapping on the roof as I slowly drift into a peaceful slumber.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Ugh. I tap my phone and look at the time. Six thirty. I stretch and mosey down the stairs, only to be bombarded with kisses from my cat, Rosie. What, you've never met a cat that licks?

Grabbing a bowl from the cupboard, I set it on the counter top with a clink. I grab the Crispix and the milk. I pour them in the bowl in one swift motion. I all of a sudden hear a jumble of loud whispers.

Breathing heavily, I put down the spoon with a shaking hand and sweating palms. I look back, nothing. I sigh, I thought maybe today I would go without hearing or seeing something, guess not.

I walk upstairs and begin getting ready for hell... I mean school. What's the difference between them anyways? I pull my medium length mouse brown hair into a messy bun on the top of my head. Reaching into my closet, I grab a red flannel shirt and a pair of jeans.

Once I am dressed, I get into my in in chilly car an blast the heat while playing soft classical
music. Music is one of the things that calms me down and lets me forget all of my issues.

The crowded hallway was bustling with friends talking and and people laughing. I walked with me head down over to my locker. I open it and grab my notebooks, the soft cardboard texture on my fingers.

"Excuse me," I hear a voice say. I spin around to see a guy I've never seen before.

I freeze for a moment, looking at him. Starring awkwardly. He lets out a small cough, alerting me and snapping me out of my thought process.

"Sorry!" I say as I feel my cheeks flushing.

Wow June, way to screw this up. I'm not usually this shy.

"So, do you know where the history classroom is? I'm new and don't have a clue where anything is." He says.

"Yeah, I'm actually going there now. Just follow me!" I exclaim cheerfully.

"Thanks for the help!" He says.

"No problem!" I smile back at him.

He walks to go talk to the teacher about assignments from earlier in the year.

"Well, I see you're not in an insane asylum yet! Good for you!" Lauren snickers.

I roll my eyes and begin to work on my paper, but on the inside, it stung. I now had no friends because of her. I trusted her, but that was a bad decision. I am now feared by most kids. The rest just think I'm weird. Nobody wants to hang out with a mental girl like me. I mean, it's not my fault I have this stupid disorder. I hate it.