4. Parties at His

Haven- 04

"...heart on a string, a string that only plays solo's..."

Ella.

I had agreed to coming with Niall to grab coffee after class the next day, and he turned to Harry, who looked awfully flummoxed, and said, "Mate, wanna tag along? Y'look like ya could use some."

"What?" was his terse reply. I had an odd inclination to ask him what was wrong, and it perplexed me. I frowned.

"Coffee. Me. Ella," Niall pointed in my direction to which Harry turned to me.

When he caught me already trying to meet his eye, his face lost all apprehension, and his features softened. He smiled slightly and nodded. "Yeah, sure."

So we began walking to Niall's quote 'life saver of a cafe', which thankfully was built into the campus, and was quite convenient. I walked up to the barista first, ordering just a plain coffee with cream and sugar. After she gave me my total, I went to search for my wallet. I extracted a bill from the confines, and looked up ready to pay only to find Harry had already handed money over on my behalf. I turned quickly to catch his eye, placing a hand on his arm (trying hard to ingore the firmness) and looked at him incredulously. "You didn't have to do that, Harry," I said.

"But I did it anyways," he pointed out, smiling down at me softly. I opened my mouth, closed it and opened it again, unsure of what I was really trying to get out. "Don't worry about it, El."

El.

I nodded after a moments time, reluctantly drawing my hand back, and murmuring a grateful, "Thank you," to which he smiled beautifully again.

_____________

"I don't know if that's the best idea, mate," Harry was muttering something in response to what Niall had said but I wasn't really listening. The seats in the cafe were so comfortable, like they sucked you in once you folded yourself in one, and I felt like I was dozing off. We were all sat around each other, forming a triangle.

"Come on," Niall tried persuading what ever point he wanted to make. "It'd be best if he have it there. Greg can't continue havin' 'em at his place."

"Jesus Christ. Ever thought about having them at yours for once? Whatever, fine. But I don't want the entire fucking school there," Harry relented, sighing. They were obviously forgetting I was still in the same vacinity as them, so I just looked out the window and watched some bikers pass by.

Until, of course, I was remembered. "Whatd'ya think El?"

"Sorry... wasn't listening," I said.

He fidgeted in his seat until his elbows were on his knees, his stance determined. "There's another party tonight. I wan't you to come, and don't even think about staying in this time," Niall cheekily grinned.

I tossed the thought around while looking at his hopeful face, and even though I've only been to enough parties in high school to still be considered a prude, I have done my fair share of having fun and drinking with friends. Or what I named friends, because acquaintances sounded too faraway of a term.

"Fine," I said. While Niall grinned triumphantly as if they've won the freaking lottery, Harry looked uneasy.

I checked the clock on my phone and swore under my breath. "But, you're gonna have to text me the details because I am, like, way late for Literature right now." I had ten minutes to get to class.

"Will do," Niall said. I took one last look at the both of them, Harry's eyes watching as I stood up, then they hitched to meet mine. I should've felt dismayed like I was the first night I met Harry by always finding his stare on me, but in an odd and inexplicable way, I felt comfort making a home in my chest. I didn't feel judged or assessed when he paid me mind, instead I felt appreciated.