8-ICCAs Disaster

I was backstage preparing with the rest of the Bellas. Aubrey was very nervous, since she had a solo and I was trying to calm her down.

"Bree, you're going to be aca awesome." I said.

"What if I mess up. Then I'll be aca awful." She said.

"You'll be fine. You just have to be quick to recover. They won't even notice you messed up." I said.

"You sure? I bet the audience is huge out there." Aubrey said. It was big for an a cappella competition, but no more than three hundred people.

"Deep breaths." I said. "Breathe in, two, three, four. Breathe out, two, three, four."

"Chloe, this is ridiculous." Aubrey said, but ignored her. I was in a roll!

"Positive thinking leads to positive outcome." I said.

When we were about to take the stage, Alice turned to Aubrey and I. She insulted us, causing Aubrey to get even more nervous. She also told me my breath smelled like egg, which I verified was not true! I had even used a breath mint! My breath smelled fine, what she was smelling was probably her own breath!

We took the stage and I looked out into the audience. I saw my mom and smiled. She was smiling at me, too. Nothing could ruin this moment!

"I saw the sign and it opened up my eyes I saw the-" Aubrey sang.

Then vomit. Everywhere. Aubrey had gotten so nervous she threw up all over the audience. That ruined the moment. That was the only thing that could have ruined that moment and it happened.

Of course I felt bad for Aubrey, but I was angry. I was angry that we weren't going to have a chance of winning. That my mother was watching us and Aubrey completely ruined it.

If that hadn't happened, I would have never talked to Beca again. I might have seen her in the hall again, but most likely not. Thanks to Aubrey's projectile vomiting, I was reunited with my soul mate. Thanks Bree!

I walked out the door with my mom and she turned to me. "Chloe, is Aubrey okay?" She asked.

"Yeah." I said quietly. "Just embarrassed."

"That's awful." My mom said.

"Yeah. I feel bad, but I really wanted to win." I said.

"Maybe next year." She said. Maybe she's right. Maybe next year will be amazing. Alice won't be here, it will be much better. I told myself.

She couldn't have been more correct. The next year was a little frustrating, but completely worth it.