Chapter 39

Milky Way/Shadow Sea/Iera/Horizon

Earth year: 2185 CE --- July

Tanner pounded on Kaidan's apartment door, her throat tight with fear. "Commander! Are you in there?" Pushing hard, she broke the door open, unwilling to wait for a response. Stumbling into the room, she almost barrelled headlong into him, who was only steps away from the door.

"Lieutenant." Kaidan said, recovering from her sudden appearance in his living room. "Something I can help you with?"

"I..." She stammered, her words caught in her throat.

"Where is he? Is he in there? Is he alive?" Mason asked, his voice breathless as he stepped into the room behind Tanner.

"Commander." He said, recovering his breath. "It's so good to see you sir. What happened? We had just started scanning the planet like you asked when the Nomad lost power. We managed to land, but we couldn't figure out what happened. There was nothing. No power, no comms and then a massive ship appeared in the sky, heading straight for the colony."

"Where did it go sir?" Tanner asked. "What happened here?"

"Maybe the two of you should sit down." Kaidan said, taking in their harried appearance. "I'll get the whiskey."

When they were settled, each with a glass of whiskey in hand, Kaidan told them everything, starting with his meeting with Lilith.

Mason's jaw dropped when he reached the part about Shepard. Tanner, ever alert, smacked him in the arm and with a blink of his eyes, he closed his mouth, as Kaidan continued.

"Holy crap sir." Mason blurted.

"So it's true then?" Tanner asked, her eyes fixed on Kaidan. "Shepard's alive? And working for Cerberus?"

Kaidan flinched at the mention of Shepard's name but otherwise betrayed nothing of what he was feeling. "Apparently. She denied it though. Said the Collectors are abducting entire human colonies and Cerberus is the only one doing anything about it."

Tanner said nothing as Kaidan took another long swallow of whiskey and refilled his glass.

"But that's not true is it?" Mason said. "The Alliance is doing something right? I mean, that's why we're out here isn't it?"

Kaidan looked troubled, breaking eye contact to gaze out the room's only window. "I'm not so sure about that Zima. Our orders for this mission came from Anderson, not the Alliance."

"So what now Commander?" Tanner asked. "What about the colonists? What do we do?"

"The Collector ship took out the communication tower. Delan is working on it now." Kaidan said, turning his gaze to Zima. "But until it's up and running again, I can't make my report to Anderson."

"Delan the mechanic?" Zima squeaked, jumping to his feet. "That guy doesn't know anything about tech. I'm gonna go give him a hand." Seeing Kaidan's look, he paused. "Uh, I mean, if it's okay with you Commander."

"Go ahead Chief." Kaidan said with a nod.

"Right sir."

As the door closed behind him, Kaidan felt the weight of Tanner's gaze.

"May I speak freely sir?" Tanner asked, placing her whiskey on the table before her.

Kaidan motioned with his hand for her to proceed.

"So...Shepard. Did she seem okay? I mean... do you think she was telling the truth? About Cerberus."

"I don't know Dlaney." Kaidan said, his shoulders slumping. "I... didn't handle it very well."

"Sir? What do you mean?"

"I yelled at her Tanner. I called her a traitor and... and worse. I didn't even give her a chance to talk, I just... I cut her off."

"You were in shock Commander. It's completely understandable given the circumstances."

"It's no excuse for how I behaved Lieutenant." Kaidan growled, growing angry. "I should have let her explain herself. But I didn't. I just lashed out."

"But sir, Kaidan." Tanner said, placing her hand over his. "After everything we learned about Cerberus, how could anyone expect you to react any different? Of course you'd be suspicious. We know what Cerberus is capable of. It's natural you reacted how you did."

Tears brimmed in Kaidan's eyes and he swiped at them in frustration. "I know Dlaney. I know. I just don't understand how she could be working for Cerberus. Or how she can even be alive after all this time. I loved her. I thought I knew who she was. But how can she be the same person if she's working for them?"

"I don't know sir." Tanner said, taking back her hand. "But I'm sorry."

"So am I Lieutenant." Kaidan whispered, feeling his heart break again. "So am I."

Milky Way/Far Rim/Dholen/Haestrom

Earth year: 2185 CE --- July

Callie returned to the CIC and after reading through her messages, decided to head to the Far Rim to pick up Tali. The other dossiers were just more people she didn't know and wasn't sure she wanted to. She needed to see a friend and Tali was it.

Once on Haestrom, EDI warned them that the system's star had burned away the ozone layer of the planet and that keeping to the shade was the only way to prevent their shield armour from failing. Great, Callie muttered to herself as she, Garrus and Miranda fought their way through several waves of geth.

After taking down a geth Colossus, they reached Tali who was finishing up her research at a nearby terminal. As Tali explained, Haestrom's sun was dying, but it was too young for that and the Admirals had sent her and a small team to investigate.

"Was it worth it Tali?" Callie asked.

"I don't know Shepard." Tali said, gazing past Callie's shoulder. "I lost my entire team investigating a dying star in heavily patrolled geth space."

"Maybe not your entire team ma'am." Kal'Reegar said, limping into the room.

"Kal! You're alive!" Tali cried happily.

"Thanks to your former Captain." Kal replied, coming to a halt.

"Just doing my job." Callie said. "The Normandy can give you a lift if you need a ride."

"Thanks Shepard, but as long as the geth don't send another drop ship, we should be fine." Kal replied.

"Actually Kal, I won't be going with you. I've forwarded the data we recovered here back to the fleet, but I'll be joining Commander Shepard on the Normandy."

"In that case, good luck ma'am. I'll inform the Admirals of your decision."