1

"Jasper Dean is at it again, holding the number one spot for three weeks in a row on our top 20 countdown!" A female announcer spoke, my ears perking immediately as I heard the hauntingly familiar name come across the radio.

My car chugged along the nearly empty road and turned into a long driveway. the road was lined with large pine trees, adding a bit of privacy to the expansive front yard. A golden retriever met me halfway with excited yelps as she ran parallel to my car. I parked and looked around for the active puppy before opening my door and stepping out.

"Molly?" I called and something slammed into the back of my knees, making me fall to the gravel driveway. The loose rocks dug into my knees, but i ignored it as she panted happily in front of me. I smiled at the golden furred pup and began petting at her head. "Hello my pretty Molly."

She barked in response and ran towards the door that was being held open by Molly's owner and my best friend, Mary Kate.

"Hi MK, how was she today?" I asked as I rose to my feet and jogged to the door. My sneakers hitting the sturdier pavement of the front walk as I approached the porch.

"Perfect as always." Mary Kate grinned and led me into the living room where my lovely baby was sitting and gumming on a teething ring. "She's a little fussy with new teeth and all, but it has to be tough as a baby."

"She's got a rough life." I replied with a sarcastic smile and MK just rolled her eyes.

I bent down and pulled my baby girl into my lap and held her closely as she babbled pointlessly into my chest. She was getting closer to forming easy words like mama, but for now it was just nonsense.

"Hi lovely baby." I kissed her whispy hair that was the lightest shade of blonde. She looked at me with her gorgeous baby blue eyes and placed an open mouth kiss right on my cheek, a line of drool connecting us once she pulled away. "Thank you baby." I said with a laugh as I wiped my cheek.

She giggled like it was the funniest thing she had ever done then looked back at her teething ring, and continued to chew at her irritated gums.

"Has she had a diaper change recently?" I asked as I stood with her in my arms, grabbing her diaper bag from beside the couch where it always sat when she was here.

"About an hour ago and she dropped a deadly bomb after breakfast." MK scrunched her nose up as we both began laughing at my babies abilities.

"Alright, Ms. Evelyn, are you ready to go?" I asked to my ten month old daughter who grinned at me before sticking the cold toy back into her mouth. She obviously didn't know what I was saying, but she always was so happy to see me which made me happy in return.

"I'll see you tomorrow." MK hugged us both as I walked out the door. She watched as I approached the car but turned and entered the house as I opened the door and placed Evelyn's bag in the seat next to her car seat.

I began buckling Eve in as I heard the screen door behind me slam open again, even though she just closed it.

"Poppy?" I turned at the sound of my name and looked at Mary Kate's pale face, surprising me as she was fine seconds ago. "Jasper called today."

My heart began pounding as I unbuckled Evelyn again and walked back into the house, wanting to hear what he had said to her.

"What did he say?" I asked quietly, pulling gently at Eve's baby hairs that curled a little on the ends. We had moved to the couch and I was holding her closely, to comfort me almost.

"Hes coming home soon. He said it'll be a long weekend for his family." My heart broke a little at the word, family as I sat here and held my daughter.