海-Author's Short Story

Unrelated to Mystic Messenger. Do not read if you came for MM. I will post MM later just for you guys. I am extremely proud of how I wrote this short story for my LA assignment, and I hope you guys enjoy this.
If you want this make this MM themed, just make the character V or Seven, or another MM character, and make it an Artist AU lolol.

-------Trigger Warning: Depression and metaphors relating to that.

海 (umi) - sea in Japanese
By: Your lovely author, Mei.

          The man stood in front of the crowd beside a red curtain hanging over a window-like object. The crowd stood behind a velvet rope, steadying their cameras and phones over their faces and eyes to get a picture perfect shot. The announcer beside the man brought his microphone to his lips, "And now, the reveal!" He beamed, pulling a thin, golden, braided cord on the side, to lift up the curtain. Underneath the curtain was a painting of darkness. Grey silhouettes were plastered here and there, with small devilish horns, and faint red eyes. Everyone applauded, with amazed gasps from their breaths. The flashes of their cameras were blinding, and almost made the man lose his balance, but he fought the blinding lights, and smiled as proudly as he could, as if this was the best work he had done in centuries.

         When the day was over, the man drove home, and came back to the blackness of his home. He dropped his bag, and hanged his coat, and sat down on his stool in front of his easel. He sighed and stared at the canvas in front of him. It was unfinished and in process, but only because he wanted this one to look more beautiful and outstanding than his previous works. His works were all monochrome. All black, grey, and white. No color. No rainbows, no splashes of color, no neon. Despite it being monochrome, his art captured everyone's attention. Millions, in fact. He became a famous artist quickly after revealing his art to his professor - who was also a famous artist - as an art assignment in university. It was the view from a high cliff from someone's eyes. You could see the ocean, the sharp rocks below, and a lighthouse in the distance. It was the view from his childhood home, although he would never mention that he was in fact, forbidden from that spot, and secretly went there when his parents weren't home.

           No one knew the true meaning behind his paintings. Like every artist, his art held a meaning. A meaning that was deep, dark, and held the inner emotions of a broken human. One of his most popular paintings as one of thick, black lines melting over a greyish white background. Most people believed it to be scratches from a claw on cloth. Another painting was of a man made out of scribbles and holes, in a sea of black shadows. Everyone thought the meaning was to be unique in a crowd of ordinary people. There was one painting that was a cloud of black smoke coming from the mouth of a man. Although the true meaning of this painting was the black cloud going inside the man, everyone thought this meant smoking. The man wanted his new piece of art to be different. He wanted it to be unique.

          He didn't spend too much time on it, for he wanted his fans and supporters to be anxious and excitedly waiting for his new piece. Although he almost never left the house, he decided to do other things to finish his new art after a long time. He did arts and crafts with scissors and X-acto knives, made art with rope, took a relaxing bath every now and then. When he decided it has been long enough, he worked on his new art. He painted, and painted, and painted, until his hands and apron were covered in paint, and his arms were aching from the amount of time he had his hands up and on the canvas.

            Alas, the man finished his art, and wiped the little bead of sweat from his forehead. He stepped back to look at the art. Indeed his previous works were gorgeous, but this one was marvelous. But the man had no expression on his face as he stared at the painting. Instead, he called up his agent to tell him he finished a new piece and told him to come by and take a look in about two hours. He hung up the phone, took his coat, and left his house. The man drove to a nearby lake, and decided to look at the scenery and feel the breeze, after being locked in his home for so long. He stepped closer to the water, and watched the waves slowly crash onto the land. The man saw a cliff nearby and thought the scene would look more wonderful on top of it. Perhaps it might make for a new piece. And so, the man made his way up the hill, and stood on the edge, watching the sunset on the horizon; its orange glow reflected in the glossy water. He stood there for a while, admiring.

              And then he jumped.

           The agent who was called appeared at the man's house two hours later, only to find the door unlocked, and no one at home. He called his name many times, and looked around his house. He found the man's painting and stared at it in awe. It was indeed, his best work yet. The man was declared missing, and days later, was found in the lake nearby, dead. Everyone deemed it as suicide, for there was no one at the lake during the time he went missing. When the man was declared dead, was the day everyone realized the true meaning of his works.

          His last painting was of the sea, and how the world above looks when you're underwater.

••••

gosh i really hope you guys like this because i sure do.
i'll probably post one more story (this time mm related meaning, yES THIS ONES A FANFIC), as an apology for being so inactive and a bad author lololol

-mei