Chapter 19

Kylie POV

I stepped into the elevator and hit the number for my floor. The doors pinged and closed gently as the elevator began to rise slowly.

I rode silently in the elevator until it stopped on a random floor on the way up. My eyes narrowed in suspicion. Why would a person on a random floor want to go up?

The doors drew open to reveal a cluster of men and women waiting to clamber in. There was no way that this wasn't staged. Which could only mean one thing. SHIELD. Just like with Uncle Steve. You'd think they'd be smart enough not to try it a second time.

I remained outwardly calm as the five people ambled into the elevator car. They all had stoic expressions on their faces as they tried to appear relaxed when it was clear that they were ready for anything. I decided to reuse Steve's iconic line to show them just who they were messing with.

The doors were shut, but the elevator had yet to move.

"Before we get started, does anybody wanna get out?" I smirked. The looks on the agents' faces instantly became panicked. Mission accomplished.

I tensed as two of the men flew at my arms and pinned them to the wall. I gritted my teeth as two more came to attack me while I was pinned. I swung up my legs and kicked my aggressors to the gas station Peter and I saved on my first night. I ripped my arms free from their restraints, simultaneously pushing the two men off of me and back to the rooftop I took Peter to after stopping the gas station robbery. I was left with a single female who bravely readied her fists at me.

"I commend your courage, but I'm not worth your pay grade," I commented, gently pushing the woman to Oscorp's lobby. I bent over suddenly, exhausted from all the energy I'd just exerted as I found myself alone in the elevator once again.

I straightened out my clothes and contemplated my options. There were most likely more SHIELD agents on each floor waiting for me, so stopping the elevator on another floor wouldn't help. The best option would be to stop the car and climb the cables to the roof. From there I could sneak to the fire escape and to my room to get changed and grab my weapons. It was the option with the least risk.

I hurriedly pressed the emergency stop button and jumped up, pushing the cover off the roof of the elevator. I landed on top of the car and quickly began pulling myself up the cables. Eventually I grew tired and yanked myself right up to the roof using my powers.

I could hear a commotion breaking out below me as agents pried open the elevator doors and discovered me missing. I ran over to the edge of the roof and found the fire escape, leaping onto it silently. I virtually flew down the ladders until I reached my bedroom window.

I peered in cautiously and found an empty room. Quietly I opened my window and slipped into my bedroom. It was just as I'd left it minutes prior.

Just as I began to relax, I felt a sharp prick in the side of my neck. Dazed, I slowly reached up my hand and pulled a dart out of my neck. I turned my head and felt a shock of betrayal when I saw who had shot me.

*********************************

Peter POV

After being released from Kylie's disorienting teleportation, I found myself standing in the middle of my bedroom. I slowly walked in and collapsed onto my bed in exhaustion. I groaned loudly into my pillow. Going around with Kylie this morning took a lot out of me.

I fell into a deep sleep rather quickly. Maybe I got tranquilized too. I slept peacefully for many hours.

Then I heard my phone ring from where I'd left it on my nightstand. I used my web shooter to try and grab it, but only succeeded in smacking myself in the face with a shoe. I shook my head and took aim again, making contact with my phone this time.