Chapter 2

'Let's have another toast to the girl almighty.'

♥♥♥

Carter

Once the bell rang I went to find my next class. I was really excited that English Literature was my first class. I love reading. I feel like whenever I read something it's the only thing that will take me away from reality. My reality.

"Hey Jones, wait up!" I groaned as I heard the familiar accent.

"What do you want Harry?" I rolled my eyes and carried on walking down the hallway, with him by my side.

"We're in the same class remember?" He reminded me and I felt his gaze on me the whole time, making my cheeks heat up. What the hell?

"I love English lit." Harry said, breaking the wall of silence. I stopped and stared up at him, raising my eyebrows. "What?" He chuckled.

"You like reading?"

"Why are you so surprised?"

"You just don't seem like the reading type. I mean with your whole wannabe Mick Jagger look, I could never really see you sitting in the adult section of a library reading Pride and Prejudice." He laughed.

"Well for your information, Pride and Prejudice is a favourite of mine and The Rolling Stones is my favourite band. You already know me very well Jones."

"Can you stop calling me that!" I snapped.

"What, Jones?"

"Yeah, my name is Carter."

"Can't I call you Cart?"

"No."

"Jonesy?"

"No."

"J?"

"No."

"Cart Jonesy?"

"NO!"

"Fine." After what feels like forever, we finally reach my English classroom. I went up to the teacher, Miss Johnson, and told her I was new to the school. She told me to take a seat next to a boy with blonde hair and blue eyes. He was wearing a white shirt, a navy blue football jacket with black skinny jeans and white converse.

I walked over to the desk and he immediately noticed me. He grinned a toothy grin, "Hey, you're the new girl right?" I nodded, trying to not make any conversation with him after my previous mistake with Harry. "I'm Niall."

"I'm Carter Jones." I said, failing my plan of not talking to anybody. I took out my notebook and pen.

"Okay class." Miss Johnson started, "Today we have a new student in our class. Carter would you like to stand up and introduce yourself?"

No not really. What is it with this school, can't people just mind their own business and leave the girl with freaking cancer alone? I stood up and cleared my throat, "My name is Carter Jones, I'm seventeen years old and I used to go to Greenwood High but then my parents decided to move me here. As you probably know already I have lung cancer. I'm not really a shy person but I don't really like interacting with other people. I love reading, my favourite colours blue and my favourite movie is Titanic. Other than that my lifes pretty boring." Hopefully, after all that, no one will be asking me any questions anymore. Or try to talk to me.

I looked at everyone's reactions but I saw, out of the corner of my eye, Harry smirking in the corner his arm wrapped around a girl with long brown hair and quite a skinny figure. She looked like she couldn't care less who I was. For some reason, I felt a pang of jealousy watching him with her. What the hell Carter, you're trying to NOT make friends. I sat back down and we got into the lesson.