Chapter 30 // The Battle Commences

Mira's POV

In an instant, I was battle ready, my halphas form wrapping around me like the arms of a lost friend- or a lover. I had been fighting all my life, to the extent that it had become a second nature. Or perhaps it was my first nature- this demonic form. People had thought so much in the past, labelling me a monster, barring their doors, sending me and my sibling away when we were desperately in need. But I did not care what they thought. In this form, I was strong enough to protect my family.
That was more than enough.

The beast, whatever it was, struck without warning, but we were ready for it. I stretched my wings to full width and, using momentum gained from a graceful plié, leaped up into the air, my veins a mixture of adrenaline and blood and wild, blood thirsty, demonic magic. I was aware of Erza at my side in her true Titania form, swords forming a rosary behind her, awaiting command. Laxus, meanwhile, had lunged to the left. I did not see this. I simply knew.

"Erza!" I shrieked, my voice ripping through the heavy air to her, tearing from my blackened lips. We fought well together, Erza and I: a formidable blend of individual skill, experience at one another's side in battle, and a deep bond that meant we could communicate with the briefest of words, of glances, of actions. And in that word was my plan.

Distract him from me- let me get close to him. He must have a weak spot somewhere.

In one flick of her wrist Erza showered the monster in blades that glowed like moonlight. They tore into the beast, digging into its hairy body and clutching onto it like claws. It should have been agony, to be hit by the might of Erza, but the only sign the creature noticed was that it's beady eyes locked fiercely onto Erza, and that the red goo came thicker from it's mouth, as though it were salivating.

"That's right, you mutant arachnid fuck. I look damn tasty," Erza screamed at it, with what she clearly thought to be a sexy bite of her lip and flick of her hair. I wished for her sake that Jellal were there.

I didn't hang about to see how it reacted. Instead, I flipped through the air and swooped in a great arch beneath the things grotesque legs. It needed a full body wax and some serious plastic surgery, the poor thing.

No... It just needed to die.

There, in the scolding heat of battle, was where I felt calmest, though my whole body was pounding and my blood was bubbling. All the anxiety for my companions, all my confusion at what was suddenly going on, ceased to mean anything: it was just the moment, the monster, the mission and I. There was no time to reflect, or worry. The battle. The present. Myself.

My eyes surveyed the creature, searching for a weakness. A place where there might be a vital organ, such as the heart, brain or lungs. Of course, any organ was good, but it was about choosing the one which would kill it the fastest. It didn't have a throat to slit, as such, and I wasn't sure as to exactly what constituted for its chest. I wondered if it even had a heart in there, after all this time in the dark. Perhaps it was hollow, filled with nothing but shadows and smoke.
There was no obvious place that I could cut through with ease. Though it's front six legs were long and thin, they were furled up too close to its body to easily target. And there was nothing I could achieve with claws that Erza could not achieve with swords.

Think, Mira. Think. What would it be weak to? If cutting it isn't going to have an effect, then what about elemental magic? If Natsu were here his fire would probably light it up like kindling, and Wendy could probably knock it out of the air easily enough, which would mean Erza could shift to a different, flightless form with a better suited weapon...