Chapter Twenty-Three

For two months she was insatiable, eager to learn about her newfound abilities. She kept him going until he was ready to fall over in exhaustion. Where was all her energy was coming from? it was like the baby gave her a never ending well of the stuff.

The only good thing was that it kept her from inquiring about Jenny and all the stuff that was going on back home. The novelty though was slowly wearing off, so today he wanted to blow the socks off her, and attempt to keep her excited.

Tossing a winter jacket at her, he said, "Let's go outside and play."

They put on all their gear and walked out the door. Being the end of December, the lake was completely frozen over, had been for weeks. The snow was falling as they made their way to the edge of Grand lake. Nerina leaned her head back, catching a snowflake on her tongue.

Wade smiled. She had such an innocent air about her, and he hoped it would never disappear. Her heart was pure and untouched, and he worried about how these new found powers would affect her if his worst suspicions came true.

Kyle and Maggie were nowhere to be found and he had no way to contact Atlantis while he was all the way out here. Did they manage to meet with the king?

A wreckage was pulled out of the water in the approximate area of the meeting place, but it was so badly damaged that there was no way of knowing who the boat belonged to.

He wanted to head back there, but he knew that if he tried to go back, she'd find a way to join him. He couldn't take her back there, not yet, especially not knowing what they would be walking into.

Jenny appeared to be safe at the moment. Jesse said a young man was courting her. Thankfully after he grilled him a bit more, he was relieved to find out that it wasn't one of the men who tried to abduct her.

"I'm ready," Nerina said, breaking him out of his trance.

"You remember what we were practicing before, turning ice into water?" he asked

She nods her head.

"Well." He spread his hand out towards the water. "The frozen lake is your playground."

"But what if someone sees?"

"Just stay in control and it will be fine."

"I don't think this is a good idea," she said, pulling the strings on her hood a little tighter so the wind couldn't blow it off.

"Do what I do." He walked down to the edge of the water and crouched down. Pulling off his glove, he slowly curled his fingers. The snow bubbled like boiling water in a pot, steam rising into the air around him.

Nerina watched as the snow and ice melted beneath his outstretched hand. Cracks in the ice branched out in a web-like design, stretching a few feet in front of her husband. She still couldn't wrap her mind around the idea of powers abilities. The only word that came to mind was 'mutant.'

Wade placed his hands on his knees and pushed himself back up to standing. "Now you try."

"Are my mom and dad like us? Kyle and Maggie I mean."

"Let's finish the training, and then we'll talk about it inside over hot chocolate," he said, slipping his glove back on.

Nerina lived with a constant lump in her chest, which grew larger with each passing day. She missed them and couldn't imagine living the rest of her life without them. Wade, thankfully, kept her too busy to think about it or at least tried to, but he wasn't always successful.

There were days when they were all she could think about. Sometimes it just felt like they'd abandoned her and flew off in a plane to the Caribbean or something. At least, in that thought anyway, they were still alive and not buried in an unmarked grave somewhere.