CHAPTER 32

I wake up to my head pounding. I slowly open my eyes and slowly my vision clears. I realize I was in a small gray room, there was one window to the right and a table next to the bed where I was lying.

Bed?! What the...

I try to get myself up but I fall back down. Both of my hands were tied to either side of the bed frame with ropes. My hijab was no longer around my head and my hair was on my face. It felt sticky with sweat. My long dress was ripped at the bottom. All in all I know I looked like a complete mess. I try to think of a way to free myself. I can feel my wrist burning as I wiggle them trying to loosen the knot.

After few minutes, I go still, I felt tired. I close my eyes trying not to cry. Just then the noise of the door flying open came and I quickly opened my eyes. My heart stoped when I saw Maruf standing there. Anger flared inside me.

He walks toward me with a devilish smile.

"Let me go Maruf," I demand. He walks up and sits down at the end of the bed.

"Come on sweetheart, what is the hurry?"

"What do you want from me?" I ask him.

"It's simple...i want you..." he says as he slowly reaches under my dress and runs his hand up and down my leg. I move my leg toward me. But he closes in on me.

"I am married...you can't do this to me,"

"But i am sure by now he is already...," Maruf drags is thumb in a slashing movement and whistles.

"NO! NO," I scream.

" come on darling just accept the fact...you will be my wife in just few days, so nothing wrong with this right?" He unbuttoned his shirt and throws it to the floor. His hands again run up and down my leg. He gets on top of me with a evil smile.

" I always thought of you as my friend...i can't believe you will turn out like this," I say.

"Like what?...anyways you promised we will be together ,"

"We were freaking 7...we were young, how can you still hold on to that,"

"I don't give a damn...i fell in love with you, and I want you now," he reached out and runs a finger down my cheek and then to my neck and he stops. With strong force he rips off the front part of my dress. Revealing my bare stomach. He smiles.

Oh Allah please forgive me for this.

He leans down and kisses My neck. I close my eyes tightly as a tear escapes. I hate myself of being to weak. Zaid please forgive me.

"Let me go," I cry. He looks up and smiles again. No I can't let this happen. I try to get him off of me by trying to move him away with my legs. I manage to throw him off. He hits his head on the bed frame. I try to loosen the rope again.

"You!--" Maruf grabs my legs and holds them in place and then he gets on top of me again. I struggle to get him off.

"You can't escape," he says.

"LET ME GO!"

All of a sudden, Maruf is thrown off of me and lands on the ground. Zaid, blood all over his face was standing next to the bed. He was breathing heavily. He looks at me as I pour out crying. He takes off his jacket and covers me with it. He throws a chair at the window and the glass breaks. Picking up a glass, he cuts the rope with it, freeing me. Is soon as I was free, i run into his arms. He holds me tight against his chest.

"I am sorry...i am so sorry...he he was forcing himself-"

"Shhsh...not a word," Zaid says as he pulls me in tighter.

"HOW DARE YOU COME IN BETWEEN US," Maruf says as he gets back up on his feets. Zaid releases me and looks at Maruf. Zaid charges at him with full speed and punches him to the ground.

"YOU TOUCHED HER...YOU TOUCED MY WIFE, YOUR DIRTY HANDS TOUCHED HER...I AM GOING TO KILL YOU, HOW DARE YOU TOUCH MY WIFE," Maruf received one punch after another. Zaid seemed like he was getting out all his life long anger on him.

"I AM NOT GOING TO LET YOU SURVIVE, I AM GOING TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T EVER TOUCH A GIRL LIKE YOU TOUCHED MY LIFE, Nadia. DO YOU KNOW WHO SHE IS? SHE IS MY LIFE YOU SON OF A BITCH!" Maruf was lying still on the ground but zaid was not done with him yet.

"LET HIM GO!" Keif yells as he storms into the room. A gun in his hand.

"Let him go or I shoot,"

"You tried that before, didn't work,"

Keif pulls the trigger. He fired. The bullet hit Zaid on the leg. He fired again. This one hit him on the stomach and then fired again, also on the stomach. I scream Zaids name as I run toward him, just as the police poured in.

Zaid was sinking to the ground and I caught him, holding him up. My heart was beating rapidly.

"Nono...your ok your ok, Zaid listen to me..please please hold on," I softly slap his face trying to get him to focus. He looks at me. The light from his eyes were gone. My tears were falling on his face as I sobbed. He reaches his hand up to my face.

"SOMEONE CALL THE AMBULANCE NOW CALL THE AMBULANCE DAMIT!" I scream.

"Stay with me zaid, you will be ok, pleasepleaseplease, don't close your eyes, look at me ZIAD, I AM HERE, you will be fine, be strong be strong, please don't close your eyes. Just hold on," I talk to him trying to keep him from closing his eyes.

"I- i-Nadia- I I ," he winced in pain. Blood was pouring out of him and I was sitting on them. My hands were covered in blood.

Oh Allah please don't let anything happen to my husband, please Allah I am begging you.

Just then few people pilled in. They carried him up to a hospital bed and wheeled it toward an ambulance that was waiting out side. I ran after them. Zaid was still looking at me. And then slowly, he closed his eyes.