His Proposal - 80

Nate is standing next to the Valedictorian. He looks over at me and whispers something to the girl. He holds her hand and walks over to me. "Chloe, I want you to meet my Best Friend Teresa."

I punch his arm. "Why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend."

He shakes his head. "She's not my girlfriend. She's just a girl that's my friend."

Teresa touches his arm. "Yeah, right. Is that what you say to all the girls that you make-out with, in the broom closet?" She flutters her eyes at him.

Laughing, I say. "I like this girl."

Nate's face turns red and he groans. "Why did I have to introduce you to each other? I'm going to be bagged on a lot more."

Teresa and I start laughing. She pinches his cheeks. "I know you love it, baby."

He slaps her hand away. "Stop it."

Teresa's parents walk over to us. They look at their daughter and then my brother.

A smile spreads across her face. "Now, I understand where all the talk about Nate comes from. You had a crush on your best friend."

Her face starts to heat up. "Mom,"

The Mom hugs Teresa. "You can go to the party tonight. We will give you a free pass to do whatever you kids do. Your father and I went to a few parties in High School. So, this one is all yours to go to. If you're going to drink you will have to find a place to sleep or call a cab. Your father and I are trusting you to be responsible."

Teresa hugs her. "Thanks, Mom."

Nate looks at her parents. "I will take her to and from the party."

"Really? So, you're not going to drink?"

Jai steps in. "I have a limo that can take them to and from the party. Nate will make sure Teresa gets home safely."

Teresa's parents kiss her before they leave. "Bye, sweetheart."

Teresa holds Nate's hand. "What are we doing now?"

Nate looks at me. "What are we doing?"

"I think we'll have a barbecue. Invite the football team. It'll probably be the last time you hang out. Most of you will be busy packing and getting settled wherever you're going to school."

Teresa looks at Nate. "He's going to my school."

Nate knows how to keep secrets from me. Teresa seems good for him and I'm happy that he has a friend like that. But, I wonder why he didn't want to introduce us to her any earlier?

I grab Nate's arm and look at him. "Why didn't you tell me earlier about her?"

"I didn't want you to embarrass me in front of her." He hugs me. "But, I can tell you didn't want to do that."

I whisper for only him to hear. "I have a lot of time to do that, Nate. You're just not going to expect it." I pull away from him. "I love you, Nate."

Veronica and Ricky walk over to us. "Hi, everyone."

Veronica looks at me. "Can we talk?"

"Sure," Veronica and I walk away from the group.

"I know you're going through a rough time watching your sister..." she cuts herself off. "I was actually thinking that you should take the night off and keep an eye on your brother's party."

Shaking my head. "I can't do that. She's my responsibility."

Veronica pulls me into her arms. "You have my husband and me here now. Sometimes, you need a break from everything and enjoy life. Aleysa, wouldn't want you to sit around while she's..." she cuts herself off as she knows how much this subject of my sister dying is to me.