Prologue - The Future

After walking hand-in-hand with Oliver back to his house, following the discovery of the fact that we were meant to be together, Calliope was the first person I saw. She took one look at the two of us as we walked through the doors of the Jackson’s large house, then shot a pointed look at me. At first, I thought she was silently reminding me to keep the promise I made to her before Oliver and I left for the Compound, but I was mistaken.

“Sera,” she said, her voice strained, “I need to show you something.”

I nodded, perplexed, and she stood up from the leather couch she had perched herself on before starting to lead me into the basement she used as her lab. I took two steps with Oliver by my side before she swirled around, glaring daggers at her brother – a dramatic change in emotions compared to the fact that she was crying to me over his condition just over an hour before.

Just Sera.” She snapped.

Oliver’s eyes flew up – I was unsure whether in surprise or question – but he shrugged and turned to walk up the stairs.

“Joshua wants someone to help him train for soccer practice!” Calliope called after him. Still, she received nothing but a non-committal shrug from her older brother. Joshua was their younger brother – the youngest of the Jackson children ever since Libby’s death. Calliope’s eyes met mine. “Come on then.”

My brow furrowed. I didn’t often question the inner workings of Calliope’s mind, but that day I was curious. “What are you showing me, exactly? And why can’t Oliver see?”

“Just, quiet, Sera. Chances are he’s still standing in the living room listening to our conversation.” She somehow managed to yell at me in a whisper.

“Does he do that often?” I asked.

The younger girl smirked. “He may claim to hate me doing this, but he’s always curious about what I find.”

“And what have you found?” I asked her as we passed over the threshold of the basement. I followed her around the cluttered tables until we came to a projection in the far corner.

“David!” She called out.

The lanky boy’s head appeared from around a corner. “Yeah?”

Calliope smiled at him. “Go play soccer with Josh, will you? He’s been complaining all day that no one will play with him.”

David looked like he was about to collapse onto the floor. I could read his expression like an open book; that smile. He left the room, his cheeks a shade darker than usual. He mumbled a quick hello to me, and then he was out of sight. Last time I had been in Calliope’s lab, I had wondered if she knew that her best friend was in love with her. In that moment, it was obvious to me that she was, and she was using it to her advantage. I half wished I could remember the name of his Soul Mate so I could make them meet sooner, I just couldn’t remember how I found out, or the girl’s name.

“When does David meet his Soul Mate?” I asked carefully.

Calliope shrugged. “Sometime in January, he still has a while yet, and he’s determined to spend that time being in love with me.”

So she did know. “What about you? How long for you now?”

Her eyes glazed over, the ghost of a smile appearing on her face. “Four months.” She told me. “October 26.”

“So,” I asked, changing the subject; I was more curious about why she dragged me down there than why she had calculated the exact day she would meet her Soul Mate; “what did you find?”