Chapter Ten

sorry this is late:/ i wont be able to upload for a while:( but i hope you enjoy this chapter!:) keep up the good work my dear friends.

Chapter Ten- Rachel Paige

I really did not want to go to work. At all. I hated waking up at four in the morning and having to go deliver papers on my paper route. I hate having to go to the bookstore directly after the paper route and stay there for twelve hours. Yes, I worked from seven in the morning to seven at night. It was a pain. I also hated having to paint on the weekend for some extra cash. I hate having to work my butt off for an idiot drunken father who died before he could pay off his own hospital bill. I hated that I was paying for his mistakes. I hated how I couldn’t get a decent job because I couldn’t go to college because I was at home taking care of my idiot father. But above all I hated doing all this on my own. I hated being by myself. I hated the fact I didn’t have one of those families that went to church together and than had lunch with each other afterwards. I hated the fact I didn’t have a mommy to stroke my hair when I cry and for her to tell me that everything is going to be all right. 

As I was laying in my bed thinking about how terrible my life was I realized I was pathetic. I was pathetic for focusing on all the bad in my life and not on all the good. So instead of focusing on all the bad I started focusing on all the good. I had a warm bed. I had a roof over my head. I no longer went hungry. I had both George and Tristan. I had two jobs. I spent every Sunday with little kids who had childlike innocence. I had a best friend who never left me, I was never alone. I said a quick prayer before getting out of bed and starting the day.

~*~

I was restocking the bookshelves in the front of the store when there was a tap on my shoulder. I turned around saying “How may I help you?” unconsciously before I noticed who I was speaking to. 

“Oh, hey Tristan!” I said excited to see him. I hadn’t seen him or spoke to him in a couple days now. 

“Hey, Rach. How are you doing?” Tristan asked genuinely while bouncing Claire on his hip.

“I’m,” I was about to tell him how terrible I was before I thought of this morning and how I should be thankful for all that I have. “I’m surviving. I’m with George now and he’s, well, George is pretty amazing. I cook all his meals for him in return for staying with him. Though, I think one reason George likes having me around so much is the fact that he is so lonely.” 

“I bet. I get lonely sometimes too. Even with Claire.” Tristan and I continued talking for a while before we decided to go out for coffee. I told Joshua, my boss, that I was taking my break and would be back in an hour. 

“So how have you been?” I asked Tristan as I slowly sipped my salted caramel drink at Starbucks. Tristan and I were sitting outside at one of the glass tables covered with a green umbrella. It was a sunny day so it wasn’t to cold. Claire was sitting on my lap playing with my necklace that dangled from around my neck. 

“I’ve been good. I mean it’s different with Claire and everything but I, well I’m really glad I have her.” Tristan said honestly gazing down at Claire. 

“That’s good.” I replied. Tristan and I kept chatting about different stuff about him until he turned the conversation to me. 

“How’s it been with George?” Tristan asked thoughtfully, gazing into my eyes. 

“It’s been good. I, well, I’m just so thankful I have someone there for me. I’ve never really had someone there so it’s, well it’s nice.” I said whispering the last part. Tristan looked at me thoughtfully before reaching across the table and gently grabbing my hand. he held my hand I couldn’t stop thinking about how wonderful it felt to be held, even if it was just my hand. His large, warm, hand captured my smaller one. His hand was calloused but warm, it was a firm but also soft, and when he gently started rubbing circles on the back of my hand with his thumb I thought I was going to melt. 

“What do you mean? Why hasn’t there ever been anyone there for you?” I shrugged my shoulders. 

“Well, my mother left us when I was young. She was having an affair with her boss, so she just packed up her bags and left. My father, well, he was abusive…” I whispered the words so quietly I barely heard them, but Tristan did. His hand squeezed mine before he got out of his seat and pulled me out of mine. He sat down in my now empty seat and pulled me gently down onto his lap. He held  me as I silently sobbed into his chest. He held me as the tears poured down my face. He held me as my warm, salty tears ruined his shirt. As he held me he whispered loving words in my ear. Telling me everything was okay. Everything was going to be okay. And that Tristan would never hurt me. 

As I was finally getting myself under control Claire started wailing. I quickly jumped up with her in my arms and bounced her up and down. That got her to quiet down a little but still not enough. The adults  around us started glaring. 

“Shh sweetie. It’s okay, your okay. I’m right here baby girl.” I cooed in her ear. Claire brought her hand up and put it against my breast before moving it to right above my breast, on top of my heart. She put her hand inside my shirt and put her hand once again on top of my heart before quieting down. 

“What’s she doing?” I asked Tristan once Claire was quiet and talking baby words against my chest. 

“She does it to me. Claire likes to listen to the sound of my heartbeat. I read somewhere that it creates a bond with the person and she feels safe. She likes it.” Tristan said coming up behind me and putting his hand around my waist and pulling me into his chest. 

“What are you doing?” I asked bewildered. 

“Well, if Claire gets to do something she likes, it’s only fair I get to do the same.”

“I-I don’t und-understand.” I stuttered quietly. Tristan brought his lips down next to my ear and whispered, 

“I like holding you.” Tristan’s breath was warm on my ear, causing me to melt slightly. His grip around me tightened. 

“S-slow.” I stuttered once again. I had never been in a relationship with a man before. No one had wanted to date me in high school, maybe because my high school life was pretty much non-existent.

“It’s okay Rachel, this is slow. Were not doing anything else, sweetie. Just let me hold you.” 

“O-okay.”