Chapter Thirty One.

I sip orange juice from a glass in the kitchen. A cold snap blew in last night, and I'm shivering slightly as the cold beverage washes down my throat, but it's so good that I don't really care.

It's early in morning, but people are up anyway. The familiar noise of pots and pans fills the air, and the warmth coming from the stove out competes the chill coming from the windows I'm staring out.

A chair pulls out beside me, and I'm surprised when I see Alexander sit down next to me. I smile and give him a quick hug.

"Hey, Xander," I say. "How have things been? I'm really sorry about the whole possessive Harry thing." I blush as I remember Harry's rash actions.

"Don't worry about it," he says, smiling at me. "I completely understand it. He's an Alpha, I know their type. I've been good though. Percy, Jason, and I have just been busy recently with training, so time has kind of just flown by."

"Well," I start to say, about to suggest to Xander that we should all get together sometime and catch up, but I'm cut off by Harry walking into the room. He looks from Xander to me, clearing his throat. Some of the noise in the kitchen quiets down, and I don't need to look over to know that everyone is looking at the three of us.

"Sorry, Alpha," Xander says after both his and Harry's eyes glassed over for a couple of seconds. "I was just leaving." He gets up abruptly, his chair screeching across the floor, and walks out of the room. I stand up and give Harry a look, shaking my head before I walk out of the room as well. I am not surprised when I hear his footsteps as he runs after me.

"What was that for?" he says, obviously referring to my glare, but I feign innocence.

"What was what for, Harold?" I say, spinning around on my heel. He has to stop abruptly, leaning backward as he tried not to fall into me.

"That look you gave me," he says, pulling on his hair with his fingers. "What was that about?" I gave a dry laugh; he really didn't think he did anything wrong.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I say, walking down the hallway that would lead to the library. My flicks into his face as I turn, and I can hear him curse under his breath. My triumph is short lived though, as soon I find myself propped up against the hallway wall.

What is it with Harry and this damn position?

"If that look was for what happened between that pup and me, then it was not justified whatsoever." He was so mad that he was almost foaming at the mouth.

"No, Harold," I say. "What wasn't justified was you mind-linking him in the middle of our conversation to make him leave the room. My frustration with you is completely justified." He growls at me, and I know he's pissed beyond belief.

"You couldn't see what he was thinking of," he growls at me, and I hear a sharp intake of breath, only realizing several seconds later that it came from me.

"What?" I whisper. Xander couldn't possibly be thinking what Harry was implying. I thought that werewolves were hardwired to only feel attraction for their mates. I mean, that's what Harry would lead me to believe.

"That, that," he says, stuttering from his anger as he lets loose a string of curse words. "He wants you, and the things I saw in his mind were just." He can't even finish his sentence, and he pulls his face into a scowl.

"I thought you said that you had soul mates, and you didn't have feelings for anyone else," I say, completely confused.

"That's the werewolf side of us," Harry explains to me. "The human side can be persuaded and manipulated by human urges." I blush and look away from Harry's piercing gaze.

"Look, you don't have to worry about Xander," I start, but again, I am cut off by Harry.

"That pup means nothing to me," he says, not even bothering to say his name.

"Harry," I say. "You're being ridiculous."

"You are mine," he speaks over me. "And I don't like to share what is mine."

"Harold," I shout over his announcements. "Stop acting like a spoiled child. I am a person, and only I have autonomy over myself. Only I decide who I want to be with, and if you keep acting like this, then that person eventually won't be you."

"Don't test me," he growls, and I see his eyes turning black. It wouldn't be very long until Daemon took total control of him. Instead of becoming mad, a veil of calm floats over me, and I can only assume that it was courtesy of my inner wolf.

"Harold," I say in a voice that sounds foreign to my own. Harry's eyes widened a little bit, the black ebbing slowly from his eyes as he realized my inner wolf was manifesting itself. "You need to walk away and calm down before I get mad. I need my space, and you obviously need some time to reflect." My wolf was a lot more eloquent than I was.

Harry's head looks down to the side and moves his hands from beside me on the wall. I take the opportunity to walk away from him toward the library. Before I can get out of his space, I feel his hand grab my wrist, pulling me slightly toward him.

"Will I see you tonight in our room?" he asks, eyes unreadable.

"I think," I say, "it would be best if I slept in my old room tonight." Harry nods, face emotionless.

"Alright," he says, and his darkening eyes give way for a split second to show me the storm raging on inside. I have to give him props; he hid his anger well. His fingers slip off of my wrist, and my arm falls back to my side.

I watch him as he walks back down the hall, only turning toward the library once his figure disappeared.

---

don't shoot please! this is a necessary part of the relationship between harry and emma!!

in all seriousness, it does hurt me to write these parts because i just want harry and emma to be happy, but happy is a lot of work, and it doesn't just come from nothing! also, more things to come later plot-wise--I cannot wait!!

if you enjoyed the chapter, please vote and leave me your opinions in the comment section!

you guys have helped me read my first rating--#964 in fanfiction! while it might be fairly low on the charts, it means the world to me. :) so thank you to all of those who vote. i know who votes regularly, so don't think i'm not noticing you. i love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

xx winter