CHAPTER 14- IRRITATED AS HELL

My flight landed in New York at 6 in the evening. I spared a few minutes to talk to my pilot, Mark, who was also a friend before I made my way back to the penthouse. It has been a hell of a week for both me and my employees.

If the contract for signing my life away to a girl who was nothing more than a medium to transfer my wealth to her father, and the Walter guy passing confidential information to other firms was not enough, the trip had taken away whatever peace was still left in my life. The London branch had been in such turmoil that I was thankful for Walter for fucking it up, which eventually led me to see the chaos for myself.

The manager was involved in stealing the secrets of the company. Not only was he helping Walter to trade information in return for large sums of money, but he was also working—or rather not working—which was causing huge losses to the branch there. His credentials proved he was under-accomplished for holding the title of being the manager.

He was appointed there when dad was still in control of the company and it only increased my anger at him. He was getting too old to look after this company. He needed to hand it over to someone else now and step back and rest. It was a pity that he believed his deceiving friend to be more capable of handling that job than his own son.

None of it mattered anymore though. I had tried twice to talk to my father, trying to make him see that James had, very gently, taken his hand and guided him to the edge of a cliff, and now he was voluntarily going to jump off by signing this contract. But he was persistent. He was not going to step back now.

If he was on that cliff alone, willing to jump off, it was his choice. Trusting James was his choice. Signing the contract was his choice. But since my leg was tied to his and if he fell, I was going to go down too, I will have to create a safety net myself and save both of us. If James was going to push me over, I was going to get back up no matter what the cost. If it meant marrying his daughter was the only safety net for me, I was going to take it.

Walter and the manager were going to spend the next few years in prison, and the remaining years trying to find a job that, I ensured, will be unavailable to them inside the borders of this country.

There were also talks here and there between the employees that reached me through Carter about me putting a lot of work on them. Though none of them could say that to my face. Good for them. Because if they were unable to bear the workload, they were free to walk out of my company any time they wanted.

I reached the penthouse and immediately went to take a shower. There was no time to rest. The charity event was tonight and it was the day when I would be signing the document for my marriage. I scoffed thinking about it.

Meeting James was already enough to make my blood boil and the thought of his daughter being present there irritated me like nothing else ever could. My only solace was Caroline.

I looked at myself in the mirror, fixing the tie of my tuxedo and laughed at myself. As much as I was still bothered by her being aware and maybe playing a part in the whole fiasco, I still was unable to hate her. Something in me still wished that she was in the dark, unaware of the game her father was playing.

What would she do when she sees her sister standing next to me when it was her who was supposed to be by my side? Was she going to be sad? Or was she going to smile with satisfaction, as the game was going exactly how she had planned it to go?

It was time to find out.

The chauffeur was already waiting at the exit for me when I walked out of the building. I slid inside and the car took off to the charity event.

My father was already at the venue. He was talking to a group of people that didn't include James. I sighed with relief and headed to the bar to put a few drinks in me before James would arrive and I would have to deal with the asshat. I saw my father excuse himself and walk towards me.