A Bird in the Hand

'Twas the sixth hour ere we approached the outskirts of the city.  A host of people milled about in the distance, kicking up dust on that hot summer day.

"Behold yonder!" declared my Master, Eldred, "The market place of Robington.  Thou wilt never see a more wretched display of doubtful wares, and merchants of questionable repute."

"Welcome, sojourner!" a dark man with greasy hair called out to me.  "Desirest thou to be smart?  Imagine the bounties thou wouldst reap with a wit as sharp as the barber's razor.  For but a paltry sixpence, these magical pills..."

"Nay, I seek only the wisdom of my master, Eldred," I retorted.

"Then, a potion to increase thy manhood?" the seller persisted.  "Thou art a handsome youth, and must needs please the wenches!"

"Nay, I thank thee; what I have will serve."

"'Tis wise of thee not to throw coins after such folly," said Eldred, "For the 'smart pills' are more likely the droppings of the rabbit, and the yellow elixir, vinegar - or worse."

At the next table stood a fat gentleman in an ornate robe.

"I HOLD IN MY HANDS, A YOUNG SPARROW!" the portly one announced timorously, that all might hear.  "BE IT QUICK, OR BE IT DEAD?  WHO SHALL WAGER WITH ME?  AN YE GUESS CORRECTLY, FULLY THRICE THY COINS SHALL I RETURN TO THEE.  WHO SHALL WAGER!"

"Eldred shall wager," my Master declared, in a voice loud enough for many to hear.

Shocked I was, but did remain silent, for 'twas not a students' place to contradict his Master.  Other passersby stopped their business to watch also, for the name of Eldred the Kind was widely known, even in those parts.

My Master put down a penny, and stated, "I say the sparrow is dead."

"OH, HO!" cried the man, opening his hands, even as the bird fled into the sky.

Eldred had lost?  It could not be!

"Confused am I," I said.  "Didst not just advise me not to spend on wild schemes?"

Eldred smiled kindly and explained, not only to me, but to the small throng that had gathered.  "The sparrow was alive.  Come that I guessed it dead, the man released it, as all have witnessed.  But an I claimed it quick, he would have crushed the life from it and presented it dead.  For my penny, I have ransomed an innocent life from the cruel hands of a scoundrel.  Moreover, I have exposed this charlatan for the cheat he is.  None shall wager with him soon.

"In this life, spend thy coins likewise."