Chapter Thirty-Four

Masamune's Pov

   Masamune and Nadeshiko looked at Soren with the cold sensation of fear coursing through their veins. They both knew that they were no match for Soren even with their powers combined. However maybe they could run fast enough...

   "Are you thinking of running? I'll tell you right now that it's not going to work." Soren lamented. Masamune looked at his cousin in surprise. Could he read minds possibly? Hopefully not. "Pst, Shiko, got any plans?" Masamune asked.

   Nadeshiko shook her head, "... Not at the present point in time..." She replied. He sighed, well crap there was no way he was going to get out of this alive... 

   Soren darted forward with a kunai knife. Nadeshiko quickly leapt out of the way while Masamune met kunai knives with Soren. In a second their dead lock was broken and they were shoved back.

   Masamune quickly made some handsigns, "Remake jutsu!" He called out as he quickly absorbed parts of the ground. Two indents were left from where Masamune's hands were and he quickly shot out bits of the floor at Soren.

   Soren easily blocked them and then raced for Masamune, only to be intercepted by Nadeshiko. She quickly fell onto his back and stabbed a syringe into him. Soren hissed before shaking Nadeshiko off and then landing a punch right into Masamune's throat.

   Masamune gasped as he fell to his knees. No air was getting to his lungs and he hoped to god that he wouldn't die from suffication. His eyes began to glaze over slightly and off to the side somewhere he heard Nadeshiko squeal in pain. 

   Off to his left he saw her hit the dirt face down and she didn't move again. Then the sound of Soren's zori nearing Masamune made him look up at his elder cousin. Soren grinned and lift his foot up, "So sorry little cousin~"

   With that Masamune's world once again dissolved into darkness.

Lolly's Pov

   The night was silent as death. The moon shone down omonously as I slid through the hallways soundlessly. I needed to get this done quickly and without the distraction of team mates. Softly padding across the floor I walked out of the front door and quickly raced through the compound.

   However suddenly I was swept off of my feet. I hit the ground rolling and smashed into one of the buildings before coming to a stop. "Going somewhere?" Kakashi asked as he dropped down in front of me. I jumped slightly as I was startled but I just shook my head and smiled. I should've known that he knew me too well. 

   "I need to find out why the dead are suddenly walking and why Soren is taking them." I said.

"That's all good and well but why not wait for the rest of us?"

"I think that if it's just me then I'll be able to talk to Soren better without him attacking us."

"This doesn't have anything to do with you fighting with Shikamaru is it?"

"Why would you think that?"

   Kakashi gave me one of his famous pointed one-eyed stares and I rolled my eyes. "Come along if you want but I'm not taking the whole group. What Tsunade was thinking with allowing such a large group leave the village is beyond me." I sighed and then began to walk again. Kakashi walked beside me and he then ruffled my hair slightly. I smiled and leaned into the gesture. I would most likely never admit it but Kakashi was the father that I lacked after my real dad died.

   Then as soon as the gesture was made it was gone. I shouldered my pack and then we kept walking. The night was silent and the air carried upon it the morose feeling of impending doom. I knew this decision was a bit... fallible... but I needed to at least take a shot at it. Taking in a deep breath we then lapsed into silence as the road became somewhat uphill.