52

Build

Build

The next morning, the Alexandrians gathered by the gate.

Katie and Rick stood before them.

"The world is different than most of you remember. Many of you haven't been outside since the beginning. I promise you that you will not like what you see. The dead are out there. And they will not stop until they kill you. I will do my best to protect you, but you all need to watch out for yourselves and for each other. Stay alert. We are out there to get the job done quickly and get the job done well," Katie said to the group gathered there.

They all looked at her.

Some of them looked with admiration.

Some with fascination.

Others with fear.

They looked at her for direction, for inspiration.

"We can do this. We can only do it together. All of us," Katie said, looking at Glenn.

That quote had always stuck with her.

"Let's roll out," Rick said.

Carl opened the gate for them.

Katie and Rick walked over to him.

"Take care of each other," Carl said.

"You got it," Katie responded playfully.

"Take care of your sister and the others," Rick said.

"You're in charge," Katie whispered with a wink as Rick walked towards the car.

"Hell no you're not," Rick called as he got behind the steering wheel.

Katie smiled and winked at Carl so Rick couldn't see.

"Yes you are," Katie mouthed silently.

Carl laughed and held the gate open for everyone else who still needed to exit.

"Shotgun!" Glenn shouted, running towards the car.

"Not so fast, Pizza King," Katie said with a smirk.

"Just because you have sex with him, does not mean you automatically get first priority seating in his car," Glenn said with a slight pout.

Katie leaned her head into the open door.

"I don't know, sheriff, does it?" Katie asked, smirking.

"It definitely means you get first priority," Rick said with a laugh.

"Come on! So unfair! I can't do the things she can," Glenn whined.

"Hell no you cannot," Rick said, laughing.

"I can't help that I have the nicest ass in the entirety of the post apocalyptic world. Honestly Glenn, these things aren't my fault," Katie shrugged.