Storybrooke

I felt my shoulders being shaked as I slowly awakened from the nap I took. Bright sunshine was the next to greet me and Felix's voice.

"Layla, get up."

I rubbed my eyes slowly as I lifted my head off him and looked around.

I couldn't see much from my position sitting on the ship, but I knew wherever we were was nothing like Neverland.

I stood up, slowly stretching, as Felix got up as well next to me.

"Ugh, this place is horrible," he commented, sighing.

I looked over at the town we seemed to go to, and saw that he wasn't completely wrong. Its not horrible per say, but it's strange. The way the building looked, the clothing people were wearing who stood at the docks greeting everyone. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

"What do you think?" my dad startled me, as he came to stand beside me. I looked around for Felix but noticed that he had already left the ship. Giving up on seeing him, I looked over at my dad.

"Its so strange compared to the Enchanted Forest and Neverland."

"That it is. This is Storybrooke."

I chuckled, "Storybrooke? Really?"

"Yes, is that funny?"

"Kind of. Its a strange name for a place."

My dad let out a chuckle of his own, shaking his head. "When you're ready, come on off the ship."

"Okay," I responded, watching him walk away to go off the ship.

I breathed in slowly, wondering why Felix left so quick, and I was about to go after him, but seeing Devin still sitting on the ship, head resting on his knees. He looked sad, and scared.

I made my way over to him, getting his attention when I got close. His head lifted and he sat back sighing as his legs stretched out.

"What do you want?" he asked, watching me sit down facing him.

"I want to know why you're still sitting here."

"Because, I don't want to leave the ship."

"Why?"

He shook his head, "Its a long story."

"Come on, you can tell me."

"I know I can, but it's kind of weak."

I looked at him weird, "Just tell me."

There was a small moment of silence as he stared at me, before he began to speak.

"When I came to Neverland, I was one of the last to arrive and I was only there for around fourty years before you came. The family I left behind, was the most abusive father and older brother. My mother left after I was born. I hated it and wished I could die everyday, but then I went to Neverland. I'm just scared that my brother or father are still alive. That they'll try to take me home. I have the hardest time fighting against them."

"Oh, Devin," I mumbled, shocked by how bad his past was and really wanting to give him a hug, but not wanting to make him think that I thought he was weak.

"I know, it's stupid isn't it?"

"No, not at all. I get it. Your life sounded horrible."

"The worst part is I could take my father's abuse, he was always drunk, but my brother. He was just cruel. He tortured me."

I just stared at him, feeling hurt for him. Devin always seemed so happy and carefree, but knowing that he came from a life like that, it made me angry.

"Come on," I said, standing up as I pulled on his arm.

Reluctantly, he got up, "What are you doing?"

"We're leaving this ship, and of your brother or father tries to even breath around you, I'll burn them real bad."

Devin stared at me in shock for a minute before breaking out in a smile.

"You know, this is the best part of having you as a friend. Your magic."

"Oh, I see," I joked, "Our friendship is based off my magic."

"Well, it's not your friendly personality."

"Remind me why I don't punch you."

"Because you wouldn't want to hurt."

"Oh, someone's confident."

Devin and I walked off the ship, together, chuckling together. I was glad I could make him cheerful again. I knew he still worried in the back of his mind, but like I told him, I would help him. Make sure that his family didn't hurt him.

As we got closer to leaving the ship, I looked around, seeing so many people gathered around the ship. Welcoming back all the adults.

"Hey Layla, look at Felix by the docks," Devin said, suddenly.

My eyes moved around until they found the docks and, strangely enough, I saw Felix there speaking with Henry. They looked deep in conversation.

"Why are they talking?"

By now Devin and I were walking through the crowd of people, dodging them as they gave us looks that told us they didn't know us.

I almost was walking towards Felix, when Henry turned in my direction but was looking at his family.

"Hey, don't you think we shouldn't be letting Felix go?"Henry asked.

"Henry's right," David spoke, walking over to Felix, "And I have an empty jail cell for him."

"What, no," I started, walking towards David and Felix, but a hand on my shoulder pulled me back. I expected to see Devin with a good expantation for preventing me, but instead my blue eyes met the same blue eyes of my father.

"Layla, no. This is better," he started.

"Better? Better for who? Better for you because then he's away from me? You told me to stay on the ship, so I wouldn't be with him. You want him to go to jail so we're apart now. You're just trying to separate us."

"Layla, I'm trying to protect you."

"Protect me from what?"

He didn't answer for a while, making me almost want to turn around and walk away from him, but before I could try he answered.

"Felix. I'm protecting you from him, but not because I don't trust you. I do. I know you think you like him, but you can't. There is no way."

"You don't know anything," I snapped back, turning around and walking away quickly.

Everything was so messed up. Why couldn't he accept that I was in love with Felix. That he made the happiest I could ever be. All he wanted to do was keep us apart.

Not knowing where I was going, I walked inbetween the buildings toward what looked like a forest in the distance. I needed somewhere to cool off, to clear my head.

I was almost there when I heard footsteps following me. I didn't need to turn my head to know it was Devin.

"Following me?" I asked, looking over at him.

"Looks like you could use some company," he responded, falling into step with me.

"Yeah, I guess I could."