Chapter 11

Aubrey looks around the natural light room. It was small, but would be perfect for Cole. The baby blue walls were a inviting color that fit him well. The other room was a light grey color making the west sun shimmer on the walls. "I think it is just right, and the rent isn't bad."

The small woman showing her around smiles, "Wonderful! We are so glad to have you and your son as neighbors. Do you know when you will be moving in? We don't mind helping, at all."

Aubrey smiles, "Thank you, but I think we will have enough help. We don't have a lot to move and it isn't that far. Is it okay if we move the stuff in this evening?"

"Yeah that sounds great!"

After signing the papers of agreement she heads back to the ranch feeling in higher spirits.
**
Jedediah breathes a prayer before stepping to the door and knocking on the door. What he said wasn't right and he needed to man up and make things right. If only he could stop screwing up with her. When Raely answers the door he is slightly surprised.

"Hi! Jedediah, so good to see you," She greets smiling.

He smiles weakly, "You too, is, uh, Aubrey here?"

"Uh, actually she and Traven are moving her stuff right now."

She's moving? She didn't say anything when they had breakfast just the other day. And who's going to keep the twins now? More importantly if she moves he loses any chance of even being friend with her. much less anything more. "Oh, um I'm sorry, I didn't know. Sorry to bother, have a nice day." With that he turns and jogs back to the pickup.

Who gives a rat's butt if he wasn't suppose to be riding again or not, this definitely calls for a nice long ride. Saddling one of his favorite horses he prays.

Lord, is this your way of saying that this isn't suppose to happen? Because every time I have done anything to pursue her it falls apart. If this isn't suppose to happen Lord give me peace about it.

When he gets back he doesn't feel much better than when he began the ride. The only thing that is better is that he gave it to the Lord, that feeling gives him enough relief to sleep halfway well that night.

"Beep! Beep!" The alarm clock blares the next morning causing him to groan and slap at it. Finally popping one eye open he hits the button and falls back onto the bed. What's the reason to get up? He can't check things, or lets say he's not suppose to. The girl he was falling hard and fast for is gone, what does that leave?

He sighs and pulls himself out of bed. Finding a pair of jeans and a button up he gets dressed and fixes his coffee. After putting a load of clothes on to wash he heads to the barn to check up on things. The familiar smell of cattle and horses meet his nasal cavity as he nears the barn nothing warmed his heart more, well now at least. Aubrey filled his every thought and still does, only now sad and depressing thoughts replace the joyous ones.

"I don't guess I'll ever get relationships down," He mutters stroking his favorite horse's soft velvety nose.
***
Aubrey straightens her back and fixes her hair in effort to look stronger than she was feeling. She may have only been getting to know the guy, but it feels like a major break up. Just knowing how he thought let her see beyond her own childish thoughts and wants. Now she knows that she isn't cut out to be in a relationship.

"Momma, I'm hungry," Cole says pulling at her shirt.

She smiles, "Okay how about some oatmeal?"

The little boy nods vigorously and scurries off to play. She smiles weakly and moves to the stove in the small white walled kitchen. The freedom she felt with renting the small house was refreshing, and the short drive to Raely and Traven's is just long enough to relax.

With Cole's oatmeal done and she finds the little boy and places him in his high chair. Sitting beside him she smiles and ruffles his light brown hair. Nothing is going to change that Cole made her world go 'round, not even Jedediah telling her that he didn't think she liked him. 

"Momma when do we get to see Jedi?"

Aubrey stiffens, "I don't know, Big Boy, Jedediah has things that he has to do."

"Can we call him and ask if he can take me to see his horses?" The little boy presses melting Aubrey's heart and the wall she has put in place.

She smiles, "I will let you call him after we get done eating, okay?"

The conversation falls flat as the little boy shovels food in his mouth as fast as he can without getting in trouble. As soon as his face is clean and hands washed Cole jumps up and down and presses the buttons as Aubrey instructs. Holding the phone to his ear he smiles a huge grin.

"Hello?"

"Jedi, can I come over and see your horses?" Cole asks his eyes hopeful.

Jedediah sighs, "Yeah, I'll show you the horses. Is your momma there?"

Cole nods and holds the phone out to Aubrey, "He wants to talk to you."

Swallowing hard she nods and takes the phone, "Hello?"

"Hey, Aubrey, uh, um," He stutters trying to find the words he wants to say.

"So, um are you sure you are okay with Cole coming out?"

"Yeah of course, are you bringing him?"

She smiles ever so slightly, "Yeah I'll bring him. Uh, what time?"

"Whenever is good, I've got the whole day off."

"Okay."

They hang up and a small glimmer of hope sparks in the pit of her stomach. He sounded like he might want to talk, and maybe this time it will be more than telling her how he feels about what she is doing. She smiles and fixes her hair as well as Cole's. When Cole is dressed and everything is put away she gives into his pleading and they load up in her car.

Pulling up to Jedediah's house her heart starts to beat fast and her palms begin to sweat against the steering wheel. Maybe this is all just a fairy tale dream that she wants to work out, is it even worth trying to beat the odds?

"Mom can we get out now?"

"Yes we can," She laughs turning in her seat and unbuckling him.

He jumps up and down, "Yay! Can we go see the horses now?"

"You have to go with Jedediah," She reminds him with smile.

He nods and runs to the waiting Jedediah as soon she opens the car door for him. She slowly follows not sure how this meeting would be.

"Hey," He greets smiling although she is pretty sure he is nervous or anxious.

She nods with a small smile, "Hi, I'm really thankful you are willing to let him see the horses, that's all he talks about anymore."

He smiles, "It's no problem. So um, I've thinking about when we went into town, and uh, um, I feel really bad about what I said. It wasn't right and am thankful that you care enough to speak up and tell me no." He stops and turns to face her, "Will give me a second chance?"