nineteen // here we go again

Quick reminder that when I write Rebekah, it's actually Esther.

~~~~~~~~

Klaus couldn't control his harshness with the paintbrush, his colours dark and tortured. He couldn't keep the anger filled look off his face as he let his grip on the paintbrush tighten, until finally... it snapped.

A deep breath left his mouth as he dropped his hand from its holding position. He took a step back, a hand flying up from his side and to his eyes as he felt the hot tears start to form in his eyes. Shorter, deeper breathes escaped his mouth, almost in pants as he tried to control himself.

He couldn't.

He pressed his palms into his eyes, slowly lowering himself onto the ground.

Klaus wasn't one to express many emotions. This was the exception. He couldn't stop hurting. Everything ached. Everything didn't seem worth it anymore. Not without her.

He took a deep breath, wiping his eyes one last time before rising from the floor. His eyes couldn't stop wondering over the painting, feeling as though everything about it was wrong. It felt so wrong to him that without warning, a loud groan left his mouth and his fist went right through it.

At the sound of heals against the floorboards, Klaus' head turned to the doorway.

Rebekah came walking into the room, the last white oak stake in hand.

"What took you so long?" Klaus hid his pain, asking the simple question.

"Alaric didn't want to hand over the stake. Luckily I'm quite the charmer." She smiled, fiddling with it in her hands.

"That's it?"

"The last of the white oak stakes that can kill us. Do you want to do the honours, or shall I?" Rebekah pointed the stake over to the fireplace, waiting for Klaus' reply.

For a split second, Klaus considered keeping it. That maybe in the future there would come a day where it just got to be too much for him. That maybe he would be ready to give up his life to be wherever Faith is.

But then that part of him, the dark part that wanted to win kicked in. He grabbed the stake from Rebekah's hand and threw it into the fire.

"Well, that's that, then." Rebekah sighed, making her way out of the room.

"Pack your bags. We're leaving." Klaus stated.

He couldn't bear to stay in the same house the love of his life died in. He was ready to move on from this town, find a fresh start.

"Today?" Rebekah asked.

"Why not? There's nothing keeping us here. We'll grab the doppelganger and be off by sunset."

"But tonight's the decade dance. I'm head of the committee. We have to go."

"I'm not going to any dance." The last thing Klaus wanted to do was go to a high school dance, when he knew Faith would've loved to go.

"Please? I have big plans for tonight. Just go for me." However it wasn't Rebekah who wanted to stay that extra night. Esther had a plan that needed to take place that night, without any disturbance like last time.

"Ok, fine." Klaus decided, thinking that this was a good way to stay connected to Faith. No matter how tough it will be. "One last hurrah."

"One last hurrah, Nik."

-

(I don't actually know what room this scene is in so just roll with it okay)

"Quite the cunning liar." Rebekah smirked, stepping into the room where Alaric stood by the window.