Eternal || Chapter Two

Kat and Kota arrived back at the McCall house in less than fifteen minutes; she had been running as if her life depended on it.  Kota was running just as fast, which only further concerned Kat.  The entire run back home, she felt as if she were being watched.

          As soon as the front door was shut, she bolted it and fell to the ground, the reality of the situation finally setting it.  She found a dead body in the woods.  That person had been murdered, by the looks of it, and seemed to have been there for a while.  Shivers ran down her spine as she blinked away tears.

          A loud thump on the porch roof caused Kat to jump, disturbing Kota, who had laid her head on Kat's thigh in an attempt to comfort her.  Kota, being the curious dog she is, jumped up and started whimpering at the door, but Kat searched for a something to defend herself with instead.  If the killer had somehow been there and seen her and now wanted to kill her, she wasn't going to die defenseless.

          Scott had heard the thump from upstairs, and came downstairs to see if it had been Kat who made the noise. "Everything alright?"

          Kat found a baseball bat in the living room, remembering that Scott had always kept it under the sofa because "Who knows what could happen?" Kat turned back to her brother, the bat gripped tightly in her hands, "Yeah, I guess.  What was that?"

          Scott shrugged and made his way to the front door, puzzled to find it dead bolted.  He unlocked it nonetheless, disregarding the questions forming in his head, and opened the door.  He led Kat around the porch, Kat holding the bat carefully above her head, ready to swing at anything that jumped towards her and her brother.

          She slightly leaned over the railing on the side of the house, but was met with a teenage boy falling in front of her face.  She forgot to swing the bat, but remembered to scream out as both her brother and the boy did as well.  Scott grabbed the bat as soon as he recognized the boy, which was subconsciously swinging around in Kat's hands, and shouted at the boy.

          "Stiles, what the hell are you doing?"

          Kat stared at Stiles, smiling slightly.  He hadn't changed at all in the five years she hadn't seen him.  In fact, he seemed to have gotten dorkier than before.

          "You weren't answering your phone!" Stiles tried to explain himself, making Kat chuckle slightly.

          "So you come over here and scare the hell out of us instead?" she asked, surprising Stiles so much he almost fell off the roof.

          "Who are you and why do you have a bat?" he questioned, making Kat snort a small laugh.

          "Katarina McCall.  You know me, Stiles.  And I have a bat because I thought you were a predator!  Also, why are you hanging upside down like a bat?" Kat asked, rolling her eyes slightly.  This was honestly not how she thought her reunion with her childhood best friend would go.

          "A pred -- " Stiles couldn't finish his statement and instead used spastic hand movements to express his bewilderment. "Look, I know its late, but you've got to hear this!  I saw my dad leave twenty minutes ago, dispatch called.  They're bringing in every officer from the Beacon Department and even state police."

          "For what?" Scott questioned, but Kat had a feeling she already knew.

          "A jogger and her dog found a body in the woods." he further explained before reaching up to grab a hold of the roof as he jumped down to the grass.

          "A dead body?" asked Scott, unable to believe what his best friend was telling him.

          Stiles popped up and rested his forearms on the railing, "No, a body of water." he sarcastically replied, "Yes, dumbass, a dead body."  Stiles grabbed a hold of the railing and pulled himself up, landing between Kat and Scott.