Steve's feelings

(Steve's pov)

I'm standing outside while the girls get patched up when Sam comes up to me. "He's gonna be there you know." He says "I know" " whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I do t think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop." He continues "I don't know if I can do that." I say "he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you know." "He will." I say and go to walk away "and what if he tries to hurt Ava?" Sam asks stoping me in my tracks. "Think about that Steve. He doesn't know her, and all she knows about him is he used to be your friend. Now I've seen Ava in action but, if her life becomes threatened because of him, or his life threatened because of her. What will you do?" Sam asks I turn my head but keep my back to him. He has a point. A point I should have thought about sooner. "Just something you should think about. I'm not saying it's going to happen that way." Sam continues after I don't respond. "But it might." I go to walk away again "gear up. It's time." I say

"Your gonna wear that?" Sam asks "no. You're gonna fight a war, you gotta wear a uniform." I reply.

(Ava's pov)

Once my wound is finished being patched up I change into something more suitable for combat. I then head outside for some fresh air before we all leave for the mission. I quickly climb a tree a good distance away from the building and just sit. Enjoying the peace before the war. Suddenly I see Steve walking along the path in the opposite direction of the building. "Whatcha up to?" I yell down. Steve looks around trying to find me "up here, Steve" I laugh. I climb down to meet up with him. "Is your leg ok to be climbing trees?" He asks. "We're about to go on a mission and you're worried I can't climb a tree?" I answer. Something seems off about Steve "hey, are you all right?" "Yea, I'm fine." He answers a tad too quickly. I squint my eyes out of suspicion. "Ava, really I'm all right." He says "fine I guess I can believe you. But I'll just keep asking after the mission." I pester "are you all right?" He asks looking concerned. Maybe it's because of earlier. "I never thanked your for earlier. When I kinda ran off. So... thanks." I say.

"Any time." He gives me a small smile then starts to walk off. Now I know something's up, but why won't he just tell me? "So, where are you going?" I ask catching up to him. "Nowhere." He answers "so then why are you headed away from the building?" I ask. He hesitates seeming to try and decide if he should just tell me. Finally he gives in "to get a uniform." What could he possibly need a uniform for? I don't see the importance of getting a uniform but I don't mention my opinion. "Mind if I tag along?" I ask, Steve stops then turns to face me. He has something on his mind. Something extremely important to him. His face says it all.

"Actually never mind. I won't go with you." I say. He sighs "no, you can come." "Steve, you can tell me if you would rather be alone. I can tell you have something important on your mind. And with the mission, I understand if you want this time to yourself." "It's not that-" he begins "Steve, I can tell when your lying." He gives me a questioning look. "Sheiks agent since age 16, remember?" I say not daring to tell him how long I've actually been at it. He chuckles "right." I smile "I'll see you when we head out then." I turn away and start to walk back to the building. "Ava." I turn to face Steve once again "yeah?" The two of us stare at each other for what seems like an eternity. "Never mind. It can wait." He says "you sure?" I ask holding he will actually say something and open up to me a bit more. "Yeah. I'll see you when we head out." "Okay." I answer and continue to make my way back inside.