38

© Jojo B 2016

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Jojo B. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.

______________________________________________________________________

*N.E.V* The Seven Deadly Simpson Brothers

38

(Picture is Paulo)

Hayley's voice sounded through my sleep and I felt so relieved to hear that she seemed okay. I wanted to see her but was unable to open my eyes.

"Coral, can you hear me?"

My eyelids wouldn't open and I felt myself shift in the bed. Yes, I was lying down in a bed.

"I think she's waking up," Hayley said to someone.

There was a short silence and then I could hear Walter.

"Coral," he said softly, kissing my forehead.

I finally managed to pry open my eyes and blinked a couple times before my vision cleared enough to see Walter and Hayley sitting by my bed. Hayley looked a lot better and all the colour had been returned to her face.

"I'm in the hospital?" I croaked at them.

"Yes sweetheart," Walter said, taking my hand in his.

Fragments of what happened before found their way back to me. I remembered Severn being shot in the back by Pedro, Gomez and Giovanni running to his side as the police shouted for them to stay back, Landon's voice raw and pain filled as he cried for his brother when they took Severn into the ambulance. Pedro, my father, was dead. Memories of Carlos sobbing and shaking Pedro's blood soaked body as he lay on the ground. Diego's ashen face as he watched wordlessly, Ario so weak that he had already collapsed to the ground.

"How long have I been sleeping?" I frowned, not liking the idea that important things had been happening while I was out and unaware. "Severn, is he okay?"

"Almost a day," Walter told me, avoiding my second question. "How are you feeling?"

I raised a hand to my warm cheek, feeling a layer of dressing on it. It was hurting, but it was a muted kind of pain, as if I had a lot of drugs in my system that were relieving it.

"You got hit by some ricochet," Walter said. "Bullet bounced off the wall and grazed your cheek."

I raised my brows, "I don't remember that."

Walter rubbed my hair. "You needed a couple stitches."

I half smiled, touching the scar on his own cheek, "I guess that makes us even."

Hayley smiled too, "I'm glad you're okay Coral, you had us scared for a second."

"I was worried about you Hayley," I said to her. "I hope the Santiagos weren't too rough."

She shook her head, "They weren't. Carlos and Ario would always stop the twins or Diego from harassing me. But to be honest, I wasn't really their main interest, they wanted to make arrangements for the Simpsons to give them part of their territory. At least, that's what I gathered. They were speaking Spanish mostly."