9.3 We haven't even arrived yet

~ Mikael ~

If I didn't see it with my own eyes and hear it with my own ears, I'd never believe it's really him, sitting here in the staircase, quietly sobbing in his hands, shoulders shaking with every breath. "Randy?"

I think the groceries can wait a little longer. Randy looks up with red eyes and heaves a deep sigh, when he sees me. He wipes his eyes and mutters, "H-hey, Mikael."

I step toward him cautiously. "Uhh, what happened?" I have a feeling that it has something to do with Gray...

Randy doesn't answer my question as I slowly sit down beside him, but he doesn't ask me to leave, either. I wouldn't blame him if he did. We're not particularly close. Apart from what Gray has told me, I don't know much about Randy. We've never had an actual proper conversation.

But maybe he just needs somebody to rant to.

Eventually, he croaks out, "Gray broke up with m-me."

"He did?" Damnit.

Even though I'd obviously thought of the possibility, I still hoped it wouldn't be true. I really just can't imagine Gray breaking up with Randy because of such a little thing. If that was even the reason he did it. Perhaps... he didn't even break up with Randy because of the kiss he shared with Seth.

"Did he say why?" I ask.

"He did, but he didn't have to." Randy takes a shaky breath. "He wasn't very... devoted to the relationship. I could just..." He lifts his hands and glares at them. "...feel him slipping through my fingers."

A sigh slips out of my mouth.

I know exactly what he's talking about, now that he mentions it. In the beginning, the only thing Gray could think about was Randy. I could see it in his face. He was even more absent than usual and he had that... dreamy look.

Yet, after a few weeks, it sort of wore off. The past week, he hadn't even mentioned him, and if my suspicions are right, he hadn't even thought of him, unless Randy came up to him himself. It must have been awful.

"Randy..." I put an awkward hand on his shoulder, but I don't even know what I want to say. How could Gray just end things like this?

"He said," Randy chokes out, "that he didn't want to lead me on—that it's not fair to me... and I understand."

Is that really what he thinks, or was it an excuse?

"But that doesn't mean it doesn't make you feel like shit," I say softly and he nods, wiping his tears away. Poor guy... "Why are you here, by the way? In the staircase?"