ch.76

Today is Darcy's graduation. I glanced at her as she stood in line, wearing her cap and gown. Underneath, she had on a simple white dress that looked a bit too familiar. I squinted. It had a nice summery feel to it and a hint of gold lace. 

Darcy sat on a nearby bench, talking on the phone with Richie. He was still in California because he had to get some things sorted before school started in the Fall. From the sounds of the conversation, Darcy was worried Richie wouldn't make it back in time. 

"Everything ok, honey?" I asked.

"Yeah," she nodded, but she didn't mean it. I sat down next to her. She patted the end of her dress, clearing the slight wrinkles. The dress looked so damn familiar but I still couldn't pin point where it was from.

"Don't worry, honey, Richie will be back for graduation," I reassured her. Darcy stared at her phone. If he was going to make it back, he had about an hour to get here.

"Mom, what's gonna happen when we go off to college?" she asked bluntly."Richie only left for a few days, but here I am, calling him every couple hours, wondering when he's coming home," she sighed.

I rubbed the small of her back. She rested her head against my shoulder.

"I can't lie and say I've been through a long distance relationship, but I will say that Richie loves you very much and you love him. If you two want it to work out, you'll make it work out," I told her confidently. It was true; if they really cared about each other the way I know they do, then they won't have any problems keeping in touch. 

"But what if he finds another girl? One that's prettier and smarter and nicer and--"

"Darcy," I spoke sternly, holding her hands in mine. "Richard Payne is completely and entirely in love with you. He isn't looking for the most perfect woman in the world; he's looking for the most perfect woman for him and that's you"

Darcy was quiet a moment. "But how do you know he won't accidentally fall in love with some college girl?"

"How do you know you won't fall in love with some college boy?" I raised a brow. Darcy stared at her lap.

"I won't," she insisted.

"And Richie won't, either."

Darcy glanced down at my ring and played with it briefly.

"Honey, Richie's gonna see lots of smart, pretty girls when he goes off to college and you're gonna see lots of funny, cute boys, but that doesn't mean either of you will suddenly fall in love with new people," I shook my head. "And even if that does happen, then it was meant to be," I mumbled the last bit. Darcy stared into my eyes.

"Richie's the first boy that ever respected me, gave me a reason to respect myself," she admitted, crossing her legs.

"And that's why I have faith in him and why Harry hadn't murdered him yet," I smiled. Darcy laughed lightly and stood up. I patted her gown and adjusted her cap over her curls.

"When I leave for Maryland, make sure dad's not too hard on Farah. She's gonna start dating soon and the last thing we need is for dad to loose his cool again," she teased. I laughed nervously.

"I'll keep him under control," I promised. Darcy hugged me. A man started yelling, asking all the students to get in line. I squinted at the man. It was Cowell, the same history teached me and Becky had back in the day.

"Get in line 'less you want to be stuck with me for another year!" Cowell ordered. Most of the kids straightened up immediately. I just stood there, smiling.

"Just as mean and strict as the good ole days," I teased, shaking my head. Cowell turned to me. It took him a minute before he started smiling.

"Angela Lorenzo? Well I'll be damned," he huffed. I hugged him. His entire head looked as though it had been dipped in grey-ish white paint.