Touched by the Devil #26

Hey guys really sorry for the late updates, my internet seems to decide when it wants to connect and not haha Anyway Enjoy!

M.A.T

The following few days were just as torturous as my first being an undead-dead thing. Blood seemed to occupy my every waking thought. It sang to me from every corner of the man made caves, echoing off of stalagmites and forcing my undead teeth from their hiding places in my gums. It took everything I had just to focus on getting to Amelia. If anybody knew what was wrong with me she would. Gabe in the mean time had taken it upon himself to lead me. He'd hidden me and redirected attention from my reclusive, blood thirsty state. He'd bartered and bargained with the New World humans for transport and supplies we needed. Meat was a rare food down here, cattle and sheep were found in the outer most posts and were bread in their hundreds, crammed into tiny areas filled with precious grass and fed artificial pellets to fatten them up and keep their milk strong. They were rationed one cow and two sheep per city. It wasn't a surprise how bony the human population had become, most had resorted to vegetarianism, meat was given to the upper classes, those who paid with soap and butter. Knowing all of this, how hard it was for anybody to get at the juicy, blood drenched substance, I was a little more than surprised how Gabe managed to get a pound of freshly cut beef. I never asked how he managed it, and he never offered and answer, asking him would only open the door for him to ask me questions; and all my concentration was focused on getting to Amelia without ripping his throat open.  

"You're going to have to speak to me at some point," Gabe said on our fifth day of walking through the artificial tunnels. Our feet echoed on the craggy rocks, steps had been cut into the earth and at the moment, we were ascending a particularly steep rock face. Amelia's wasn't far now, if I wasn't in such a pathetic state, I could run to her.  

"You need medical attention Gaenor," he tried again. He'd been saying the same thing for the past few days. I have to admit it was true. My head was only just starting to heal, the pain in it gave me splitting headaches and the bones in my ankle had fractured when I'd jumped over the stair railing. I wasn't healing as fast as I should. In fact I can't remember the last time I had healed so slowly before.  

"Not far." I growled by voice hardly louder than an exhausted gasp.  

We were halfway up the stone steps when my headaches started again. The pain split my skull in half, my vision momentarily darkening. In that second I saw a wooden staircase and a dark bulging man at the top. My feet were scrunched up under me and my head rested on the final post of the railing.  

"Gaenor?" Gabe asked, his hands shaking my shoulders and dissolving the memory into tiny stinging shards.  

I grunted and tried to push him away before realising we were no longer on the stone steps. 

"This is getting ridiculous," he grunted helping me stand up and keeping hold of my arms. His hands pulsed where they touched, I could feel it, the blood, hot and alive running just under his skin.  

"Every time you get one of those headaches you pass out." 

"I do not pass out." I argued though my voice wasn't helping my case. 

Gabe glared at me. "How far are we from your friend?" 

I shrugged his hands from me and really tried to focus on the dimly lit cave. Here the man made tubes and wires dangling from the ceiling were few and far between. The only strong lighting came from the torch in Gabe's hand, a faint bluish tinge to it as it travelled along damp and glistening rocks. The landscape was familiar however, and I knew, without needing to think too hard, exactly where Amelia was hidden.