[17]

This is just a song I am currently obsessed with.

"Are you sure about this?" Ferris glared down at his hands.

"No, but I don't think that this is something that we should just ignore. You should've seen her face Ferris, it had guilty written all over it!" I practically yelled while running a hand through my hair.

He sighed, "Okay, I won't say that you're wrong about this but we can't just arrest her over how you thought her face looked."

"I'm not saying to arrest her, but that we should all keep an eye on her."

Ferris nodded while seeming to be in deep thought, "You shouldn't reveal anything to anyone else until we know more. By anyone I mean even your sister."

My jaw clenched, "I know."

"I'm glad you brought this to my attention before doing anything drastic."

I snorted,"Like confronting her head on and attacking her?" 

"Something like that." Ferris chuckled and stood up. "If there's nothing else, I'll be on my way."

I followed him out of the kitchen and into the entrance of the house. "Thanks for showing up on such short notice, I know you have so many other things to do."

Ferris smiled, "You're so much more important than you believe and you will soon realize that Echo." Before I could respond, he already opened the door and left me speechless.

"Is everything okay?" I turned around saw that Hasel was standing on the steps looking down at me with worry.

I tried to give her a reassuring smile, "It will be."

"I can't believe the school was bombed." She shook her head and took a seat on the stairs.

"I can't say that I'm surprised." I walked over and sat down beside her.

She looked at me in confusion, "How are you not surprised that someone would bomb and kill dozens of teenagers?"

I shrugged, "Because things are finally progressing in a positive way and there are many who oppose Ferris' project and the idea of coexisting with Nons."

"But that doesn't mean that someone would go to such lengths!" Hasel retorted in frustration.

I looked at her, "You have a lot to learn about the world Hasel, not everyone is right in the head and will do anything to get their idea across. Yes, that means to even kill innocent teenagers and not feel any remorse about it because they feel that they're doing the world a favor. This is just how people are and the quicker you realize this fact, the easier it will be to accept  situations like this."

"I'm not stupid, I just can't fathom how-" Tears filled her eyes and that's when she completely broke down. 

She's just a kid. 

I closed my eyes and exhaled at this realization and made a promise to try and protect that innocence that she still has. As she cried into her hands, I pulled her into me and allowed her to soak my shirt with her tears. 

"I'm glad you were outside when all of this happened, Hasel. I don't know what would've happened if you saw the things that I saw." I whispered to her.