Chapter One Hundred Forty Nine

The section of the Gryffindor table became silent as Kefira just stared at Bisera for a moment after the girl had asked her to the Yule Ball. The question certainly had caught the young Gryffindor girl off guard as she didn't see it coming at all. She actually took a few seconds to glance around the table to make sure that Bisera's question had been directed towards her, but as she did, she noticed that Neville had departed from the table. She had only been able to catch the sight of the back of him leaving the Great Hall.

Suddenly, Kefira felt stuck and unsure of what to say. As much of a fuss she had put up about the Yule Ball annoying her, she was still counting on going with Neville. She had discussed it with Dean earlier that day, and the boy suggested giving Neville the chance to ask her before she went and asked him. But now things were complicated as she definitely didn't anticipate Bisera asking her.

"Kefi?" Bisera's voice dragged her out of the traffic jam that was her mind in that moment, making her look up.

"Um...say...Bizzy, do you mind if I get back to you on that one? I can let you know by dinner time."

"Sure thing," Bisera smiled.

"Thanks," Kefira gave her in a smile in return before pushing herself. "You don't mind if I head on out do you, I have to check on something."

"Yeah, that is fine, I have to talk to Karkaroff anyways about some class work. See you later, Kefi."

"Bye!"

Unsure of where to look for Neville first, Kefira decided the Greenhouses would be the best place to start, and afterward the Gryffindor Tower. However, Neville wasn't in either location, bringing her to search the castle further. She left to the library and checked some of the classrooms, but Neville was nowhere in sight.

"This is the only time I wish he was a giant canary again," she sighed to herself as she came to rest in a window seat.

She tried to think of other places that Neville would be when she heard someone calling her name. She looked up and saw Dean walking down the corridor with a curious look on his face.

"What are you doing here by yourself?" He asked. "Where's Neville?"

"That's what I've been trying to figure out for the last hour, Dean," Kefira told him. "Things did not go according to plan, Dean."

"What? What happened? What did you do?"

Kefira gave him a look.

"Uh, I mean, scratch the last question. What happened?"

"Well, Neville and I were sitting in the Great Hall having lunch when Bisera joined us."

"Bisera is the girl from Durmstrang, right?"

"Yes."

"Okay, go on."

"She sat with us and then we were talking about the Yule Ball briefly when she just asked me to go with her."

Dean's eyes widened. "She asked you to go with her? In front of Neville? oh, this isn't good."

"I know," Kefira agreed. "He left the Great Hall before I could say anything. I really don't know what to do. I don't want to turn down Bisera, but I actually was looking forward to going with Neville. I should have just asked him when all this first came out. Now I'm just stuck and I can't find Neville. Since when did he become so good at hide and seek!?!"

"Relax, Kefi, we can figure this out," Dean said in a confident tone.

"How? Either I turn down Bisera or I turn down Neville. How do I go about solving this?"

"Uh....just give me a moment here to think," Dean told her.

It was quiet for a few minutes before he turned to her. "Yeah, I got nothing."

Kefira let out a groan, before shaking her head. She sighed as she faced Dean again.

"Did you ask your potential date?" She asked him.

Dean nodded.

"And?" She hoped his news would be better than her news.

"They're already spoken for," Dean answered. "Unfortunately."

Kefira pressed her lips together for a moment before resting her hand on Dean's shoulder. 

"Hey, it's just a stupid date to the ball, not a lifetime commitment. 

"I know," Dean nodded," you're right. Anyways, I rather not think about it anymore. Do you want me to help you find Neville?"

"Yes, please!"

The two searched around before deciding to call it quits and head back to the Common Room before dinner. Kefira was nervous as she still had to give her answer to Bisera, but she wanted to talk to Neville first. She was trying to come up with a plan in her head as Dean gave Elizabeth the password to enter.

The two students entered, only to find Neville sitting in one of the armchairs with one of his books.

"I thought you said you checked here already?" Dean whispered to her.

"I did!" She said. "He must have shown up later on."

"Oh, well, I'll just leave you to it then. Good luck."

"Thanks."

Dean greeted Neville with a hi and goodbye before running up the stairs to the boy's dorm.  The boy was puzzled by his friend's actions before turning his head and seeing Kefira still standing by the portrait hole. 

She gave him an awkward wave, immediately bringing him to put the book down. She walked over to him but didn't sit beside him as she normally would.

"I've been looking all over for you, Nevs," She informed him.

"Really? But...why?" He asked in confusion.

"Because you practically ran off in the Great Hall before I could say anything to you. I know you're upset about Bisera."

"W-what? N-no, I'm not!" His face turned redder and redder, betraying him in that moment as he tried to convince Kefira otherwise.

"Yes, you are. I'm not stupid, Nevs."

"I..I..." He couldn't bring himself to complete a sentence as he just looked up at her. Finally, he swallowed hard and brought himself to speak. "Are you going to Yule Ball with Bisera?"

Kefira smiled at him. "I haven't given her my answer because I wanted to talk to you first."

"Why did you want to talk to me first, Kefi? It's not like you need my permission-"

Kefira rolled her eyes playfully at his confusion.

"I wanted to talk to you first because I wanted to go to the Yule Ball with you, Neville."