Chapter 12

Dan's POV - Thursday

"Alright, so as I'm hoping, everyone here should be aware that you should be close to or even finished with reading your novels by now." Mr. Straut starts, leaning against his desk and looking out at all the faces in his classroom.

Some kids nod there heads in response, as to say they were completely up to date with the teacher's request. Other students face's went pale, as if this was the first time in a month the project even came to their minds.

Dan was definitely one of the latter of the students.

"To the several students who look as if they are on their death bed," He continues, looking around at said students. "Don't worry, as I did say you have until the end of the month, so technically the month ends on a Sunday. I'll give you tomorrow and the weekend to finish. Is that clear?"

Half of the class gave a silent nod, but a girl that sat in the front quickly shot her hand up, talking before being called on. "Sir, how will you be checking that we actually have read the entirety of our novel?"

Dan rolls his eyes. It wasn't really the question, just the person asking it. Elizabeth was literally the last person in this room to worry about that. She probably finished her book the day the project was given out.

"I'm glad you asked, miss Forester," Mr. Straut begins to pace up and down the aisles of desks.

Dan glances back at Phil who caught his gaze. There is genuine worry in Phil's eyes and Dan is quickly prepared to make this boy smile.

"It's okay" He mouths. Dan quickly nods his head up to signal the start of a suggestion. "My place this weekend, then?" He mouths this and then quickly after, he shoots Phil a wink and some finger guns, a giant smirk on his face.

Ever since that Monday, their relationship has only gotten better. They haven't exactly established a label yet, but as of now, it didn't bother him... he guessed.

Phil rolls his eyes and quickly dismisses Dan with the wave of a hand. His eyes widen slightly and his gaze switches past Dan.

"So, Mister Howell," The teacher starts as Dan's head turns to hear the booming voice and his body looming over his desk, his arms tucked carefully behind his back. "I take it that you've finished your reading portion?"

Dan looks up, his expression not faltering from a state of confidence. He never took this calling out bullshit from teachers. "No sir, but I can tell you that I am definitely close to it." He replies, noticing Mr. Strauts expression faltering slightly at Dan's quick and confident response.

He cocks his head. "Have you now?" He glances over at the book at the corner of Phil's desk, seeing that Dan didn't have his out like they were asked. "Always Running, huh? If you are so close to finishing– please, tell me what has recently happened to your two protagonists."

Dan doesn't even hesitate. "Welp, Kayleigh is pretty much depressed because she's lost the only available dick she can get. Meaning, mister Chad has been captured by the ass who tried to kill her within the first chapter," He crosses his arms, looking up at the teacher with devious eyes.
"She's teamed up with the guy who low key wants her, and they are actually getting on the culprits trail pretty well. I would just love to continue, but I think those who would like to read it would appreciate it if I shut up right about now, don't you think?" He finishes, keeping his rebellious smirk as hard eyes stared back at him.

"Don't talk with that mouth in my class ever again. Now, pay attention in class rather than talking to your English partner." He says simply, walking back to the front of the room.