Ch. 16 (PG-13, L): Revelations at Lady Lizzie's Ball

Start from the beginning

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Lord and Lady Forsyte, How good of you to join us for Lady Elizabeth's Presentation Ball." I smile graciously at the elderly Viscount and Viscountess who had been very old and very dear friends of my late parents. They must be in their seventies, or even—dare I think it—approaching their eighties, an unprecedented feat of longevity accomplishment in our time.

I think that the Forsyte's must either be very good, as they are very well liked and respected by all of their acquaintance, and thus claiming God's favor--a line of reasoning that I do not agree with because it makes God out to be a populist—or they are a very wicked pair and denied entry to the hereafter. I cough into my gloved hand to cover an unseemly chuckle that tries to escape my lips. However, looking at the twinkle in the Viscount's eyes—him noticing my mirth--I am suddenly struck with uncertainty as to which direction this long admired couple's afterlife aspirations tend.

We bow and then the Viscount and I shake hands. And then they both kiss Lizzie's cheeks—and Lady Forsyte gives her a gentle embrace. Though a frail and elderly couple, their regal bearing—and no dearth of medals and family heritage jewels upon their persons this night—mark their distinction as nobles of high rank.

Lord Forsyte: "Enchanted, Lady Elizabeth! You have blossomed into a lovely young lady." Lord Forsyte lifts my sister Lady Lizzie's gloved hand to his lips and kisses it as she blushes.

Lady Lizzie: "Thank you for the kind compliment, My Lord." She smiles shyly. But in her demurely elegant lace overlay ice blue satin gown and swept back hair, Lady Elizabeth looks beautiful and more mature than her usual self [(2) right].

Lord Forstye: He smiles gallantly at Lady Lizzie. Then he turns to Lord Christian. "And I remember that you were still in leading strings, Lord Sussex, when your Papa put you on your first mount." He smiles jovially.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Ah, yes. And I promptly fell off! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

Lady Forsyte: "Oh dear! I hope that you were not injured, Lord Sussex." She fusses caringly, as a mother would.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "If I was, I have long since recovered—as you see, My Lady." I smile graciously as I spread my arms wide and raise a bemused eyebrow. Then I turn to gaze lovingly [(3) right] at my patiently waiting betrothed, Lady Madeline Sinclair. "And please allow me to formally present my betrothed and soon to be bride, Lady Madeline. Her Grandmama is Lady Lucretia Beckham Knott." 

I nod knowingly toward that esteemed lady sitting a few yards away smiling proudly--whilst Lady Madeline's father Squire Sinclair is ensconced most happily in the card room well away from Lady Knott. The Viscount and Viscountess Forsyte gracefully nod their heads in answering accord to Lady Knott. Connections are everything in our world. 

Lady Madeline: "My Lord and Lady Forsyte." I curtsy deeply to these very old friends of Lord Christian's parents. He had told me that they rarely exert themselves in society, but that they made the exception for Lady Lizzie's presentation ball this evening—as they will for our wedding.

Lord Forsyte: "Lovely, lovely." Lord Forsyte smiles dotingly upon Lady Madeline. And she blushes demurely.

Then Lady Madeline is asked to present her hand to display her betrothal ring from myself Lord Christian, and she does so—her wearing only her right glove for now, but holding the other glove demurely in her left hand--her astutely anticipating needing to show her ring many times this evening. 

Lady Madeline's ring is an brilliant cut one carat round cut diamond encased in a low mounted gold band setting with filigree worked gold band sides [(4) right]. It is not the biggest ring that we looked at in the Sussex House family jewelry vault, but it was the ring that my Madeline liked best, for its simplicity and modesty. Well, modest compared to some of the quite large small bird's eggs sized jewels adorning the older ladies of our acquaintance. Lady Madeline's betrothal ring is exquisite—as is she.