: 1 :

The sky was turning a purple-ish pink as I stared up at the visible moon. A flock of geese flew by and oh, how I wish I could fly away with them.
   For the 17 years I've been alive, my world was already a living hell. I had no one. Well no one that loves me or cares for me to be exact. My uncle is always drunk everyday, when I come back from school. Some days he'd even have a few drunk friends over as well.
   "Get outta 'er you nasty brat!" He would scream as I walked through the kitchen to get a snack. I would just ignore him and go straight to my room.
   I was lucky he doesn't hit me. He's somewhat sane and lost at the same time.
    I walked up to my room and threw my textbooks on my desk. It made a loud thud.
"Oi! Whatareyoudoin'upthere!!?" My uncle's words were slurred. I didn't care. My legs were tired after the long day at school. I collapsed on my bed.
   I woke up in the middle of the night, to hear a tapping sound at my window. I thought it was just rain. I rubbed my eyes and the grogginess left, it turns out that the knocking at my window was a dove.
   "Hey there bird." I said gently as I walked over to my window seat. I opened the window.
   The bird looked up at me, as if examining my thoughts. My face. My personality.
   It flew away as if it has completed it's mission. Strange, I thought. As much as I didn't want to go to sleep, I said to myself, Sleep is actually my hardest hello and hardest goodbye. Instead of walking to my bed. I stayed at my window seat, and fell into a dreamless sleep.
******
I woke up to the same bird a few hours ago, tapping at my window. It was about 1 AM.
"What do you want this time?" The dove tilted it's head, motioning to my bags. When it saw that I didn't understand, it flew into my room! "Hey!!" I yelled, trying to grab the bird. It was too fast.
The darn bird started to pull a book into one of my duffle bags. It then took the picture of me and my mom and forcefully dropped it into the bag along with the book.
"Hey! That's fragile you know! You're lucky the glass didn't break or I would've plucked your feathers off your tiny body. One, by one." I threatened. The dove seemed startled.
And then it hit me.
Literally.
The dove hit me, crashing right into me.
I then realized it was trying to help me pack!
Wow why am I such a dumbass..
I took my blanket and neatly folded it into my bag. The bird took it's place, perched on the windowsill.
I couldn't leave my sketch book behind. It's only thing that kept me occupied, aside from the book. Uncle Holden only let me buy about a few things, if he was nice. What I mean by nice, I mean sober but still mean.
"Aye, I'll give ye some allowance to spend on whatevuur ye wont. I. Dont. Care." He would say once in a while. His Scottish accent, thick.
I slipped on my leather boots and took my only jacket from my desk chair. It was a vest with sown on flannel sleeves I found at a thrift store a couple years ago, since I couldn't afford a real coat.
I took out whatever was still edible from my lunchbag for today. A few granola bars and a tangerine wont last for lets say about three hours if I eat bits along the way.
I looked at the bird who was now standing on the branch of a tree right outside me bedroom window.
If I was quiet enough, I could probably manage to shimmy down the oak tree... If I'm careful, I could probably make it down the block to wherever the bird would take me. I was glad to leave this crappy place. Maybe away from crappy people too. New life.
I looked up at the sky. There were stars. Actual stars. I've never really seen so many.
I had a feeling, that those stars meant something great was going to happen.
I followed the bird.
******

Hey guys!!! I know this chapter was kinda long! I was just so excited. You see, this is my very first story and I had so many ideas, I could not hold them in any longer! Im going to start making the next chapter right now.
I hope you guys like my story!

-June