Chapter 5, part 1

Start from the beginning

Ryker's well-endowed physique flashed in her mind. "Trust me, that part's not an issue. I'm fully... engaging with the locals. So just go ahead and say whatever it is that needs to be said. I have to be at work in twenty-five minutes."

Sam nodded. His hair was shaved close; suit neatly pressed. Everything about him screamed self-control and discipline. She wondered what he thought of her messy hair and slightly wrinkled work shirt. He must view her as an unruly child. He took a swig of coffee. "Okay, well... I wanted to let you know that they've decided to try the brothers together. I'm expecting to hear about a projected court date soon, but it's probably going to be months from now."

"Months?" In her naivety, Emmie had hoped the trial would take place as soon as possible. She should have known real life didn't work like an episode of Law and Order.

"We're lucky it's months and not years, to be honest. Your ex's testimony does help shorten the timeline. He's the prosecutor's lynchpin."

"Well, at least he's good for something." Finishing her coffee, Emmie got up and set it in her sink.

"He'll be giving a formal deposition before the trial begins. Again, I'll let you know the details when I have them."

She cringed. "Do you have to?"

He cocked his head to the side. "I thought you'd want to know."

"Maybe." Biting her lip, she grabbed her jacket and began layering herself in winter gear. "I don't know, to be honest. I have to clear my head before I go to work. Why don't I give you a quick driving tour of the town."

He got up from the table. "Oh, you know it that well already?"

"Not at all, actually. But if the last week has proved anything to me, it's that I'm pretty good at bull shitting my way through just about anything." She led him back down the stairs. "And can we talk about anything besides the case, please? How's Ash?"

Ashlyn was his ten year-old daughter. Sam had confided to her when they'd first met that she'd been battling cancer for the past four years. Her illness coupled with Sam's erratic work schedule had taken its toll on Sam's marriage; he and his wife had divorced a year ago.

Sam smiled despondently. "She's hanging in there. Almost done with another round of chemo."

Emmie put a hand on his arm. "I can't imagine watching a child go through that. It must be terrible."

Shrugging his shoulders, they continued out to his car, a black SUV Cadillac.

"That's not at all obvious." She squinted at the vehicle. Dawn hadn't yet fully embraced Moon Beach, but it was light enough to see that Sam was driving the most stereotypical Fed car he could possibly have.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I'm expecting Scully and Mulder to hop out of that thing any minute and interview me about some sort of face-eating alien."

Chuckling, he opened the door for her and soon they were making their way around town. Emmie pointed out the park, the grocery store with its adjacent laundry mat, and all of the little touristy shops. "You really should try the saltwater taffy. The townsfolk aren't lying. It's amazing."

"Maybe next time." They wound their way down to the waterfront, the rolling waves still hidden in darkness. Sam drove into a parking lot adjacent to the beach and they sat in silence for a moment. The steady roar of waves crashing against rocks settled her mind. Having grown up just a stone's throw from Lake Michigan, it was a comfort to know that another great body of water was always near.

She tried paying attention to Sam as he chatted about his favorite café in Portland. It was nice of him to stop by in person to update her about the trial, but it hadn't been necessary. She supposed he could have told her over the phone but wanted to check in to make sure she was doing okay.

Glancing at the clock on his dashboard, Sam backed the car out of its parking space. "Which way is Iola's Eats? I could use some bacon and eggs." He yawned. "And maybe another cup of coffee."

"We happen to have those things."

Two minutes later, they pulled up in front of the diner. "Oh no!" Emmie checked her phone. "I think your dash clock is off. I'm super late!"

She hopped out of the car and nearly collided with the last person she expected to see.

"Ryker?"

A/N: Oh boy

A/N: Oh boy... looks like Sam and Ryker are about to meet. I'm sure that will go just fine, right?

Votes for this update go towards getting Sam a car that will blend in a bit better with Moon Beach. I'm thinking... Volkswagen Bus maybe?

Thanks so much for reading!