The Bet That Broke Me : Chapter Twenty Nine

Three hours from my house, I found myself walking through the doors of what would become my "home" for three months. It was a private rehab center for teens around my age. Lily and David made the decision that this one would be the best fit for me. It wasn't considered small but it wasn't big enough to be declared a whole facility.

I wasn't sure how many other teens there were but I knew that there were quite a few and that I'd have a roommate. One that wasn't Hailey. Of course I've shared a room since I was thirteen, but this time I was sharing one with a stranger and that was a huge difference. "We will just finish our routine check. By then you should have her all checked in!" A woman, who if you ask me; was way to excited to be working in a home for the mentally ill, reach over her desk to hand lily another clip board.

The same woman reached for my bag as lily turned away, "I'll just search these for you." Before I could object she had already pulled my suitcase on top of the counter.

"I'm just looking for anything that could be harmful to you or anyone else." Still gushing, the woman proceeded to unzip my bag.

Other than clothes and hygiene products there was nothing else for her to find. I haven't worn makeup since prom and I don't curl or straighten my hair. I watched as she pulled out my only pair of sneakers. "Unfortunately we have to take the laces from you."

"That's stupid; I'm not going to kill my self with shoe laces." Lily's eyes flashed from mine to the woman in front of us.

"It's just precautionary."

She took a minute longer to finish looking through my bag. By time she was done, Lily, had finished filling out the rest of my paperwork.

"You are all good!"

"Call me every day okay?" I savored her warmth as lily pulled me for a suffocating hug.

"I will." We pulled back with tears in our eyes. Other than Hailey and David; this was the only real goodbye I got from the people back home. Aiden tried to come by the house the day after I got released from the hospital. David refused to let him through the front door.

All I heard was his voice as he pleaded with David. I sat on the couch listening to his every word. My mind had been so caught up with these past days that I hadn't even realized that I was standing in front of my room. My lungs welcomed a cold breath as I pushed open the door.

Inside; the room was split into two sides with a bed on each side. And one bed a black haired girl sat beaming at me. "Hi! I'm Andy," before I could even get my suitcase on my bed I was ambushed by the girl.

By my roommate. Andy. "I'm Alison."

"You are so pretty!"

"Thank you. So are you." She really was. Her hair was mostly black but there were a few blue strands scattered about her hair. Her skin was a light brown and she had almond eyes. As she got closer to me I realized how much taller she was as well.

"Here let me help you get settled." Her openness reminded me a lot of my best friend. Or at least of the girl who I thought was my best friend. Kelsey's face flashed across my mind. I didn't say goodbye to her either.

After finding out that she had known about the bet, I couldn't bring myself to talk to her. At least not yet. She only tried calling once after I left the hospital. I didn't answer.

She was my only real friend and even though a part of me resented her; I loved her too much. I loved how she made me feel. Almost like I was normal. We just needed time. And as shitty as this place was; it was the break that we needed.

"Thank you." My voice came out small but I made sure that I sounded appreciative. Andy offered a wide smile as she helped me unpack.

"So how long are you here for?"