A Break

A week after your awkward conversation with Dean, and you were going insane. He followed your suggestion to the T, flirting enough to get you flustered, but never trying more. Sam had noticed the change in your attitudes towards each other, but wisely said nothing.

After another frustrating breakfast with no Sam in sight, you had had enough. Dean had been exceedingly kind to you, lightly flirting but never moving past it. You weren't sure whether you wanted to punch him, or pull him in tight for another mind blowing kiss. Instead, you slammed your plate into the sink before making your way into the library. Sam was in the corner, lost in a book, and you pulled open your laptop, scanning the nearest news for any sort of hunt. A hunt you could do by yourself, and give you time away from the man currently flustering you.

An hour into the search and you finally hit gold. A lady was complaining about how her husband had died. Saying there had been no signs of forced entry, and he had been home by himself. He had been ripped to shreds by some sort of monster, or what they were calling a bear. Figuring a weird werewolf, you felt adrenaline running through your veins at the thought of your very own case. A case you were not going to tell the Winchesters about.

"You seem happy." Sam said, dropping his book on the stand beside him before standing up. Quickly closing your computer, you nodded, thinking a plan up quickly. 

"Yeah, I've just heard from one of my friends." You lied, because you had burned all of your bridges a long time ago, and didn't have anyone you could count as friends besides the Winchesters. "She wants me to come visit for a couple of days."

Sam nodded, seeming happy for you. "That's great! When are you leaving? Do you want us to come with you?"

"Of course she wants us to come with her, don't you Y/N?" Dean's voice sounded from the doorway, as he leaned against the wall, his ankles and his arms crossed as he gave you his patent knowing smile.

"No, it's alright. You guys stay here. It's only a couple hours away. I should be back by Tuesday." You told them, standing up to leave, but Dean grabbed your arm, stopping you.

"Are you sure? Because Sammy and I can come along, hang out while you visit your friend." He suggested, as if he knew more than what you were saying.

You patted him on the chest, not missing the way the muscles bunched underneath your hand. "I'm a big girl, I will be fine. You and Sam enjoy your masculine time, I'll be back before you know it." 

He let go, stepping back, and you missed the frown on his face as you walked down the hall towards your room. Stepping inside, you pulled out your bag, packing up clothes and some weapons you had laying around your room. You had a better supply in your jeep, a supply that would be enough for a quick werewolf hunt. 

After making sure you had left nothing important behind, you made your way to the garage, not surprised at all to see Dean there, bending over the engine compartment of the Impala. Giving yourself a moment to enjoy the view, you sauntered up, surprising him when you slapped him in the ass. "You weren't in here waiting for me, were you?" You asked him as he hit his head on the roof. 

"Damn it." He muttered. "No, Baby needed some tuneups, so I figured I would get them done. Unless you've changed your mind and want me to go with you. Make it a little more fun." He suggested, his bottom lip between his teeth as he raised his eyebrows at you.

"Thanks, but no thanks. It's just a visit with a friend. Quick and fun. I'll be back before you know it." You told him, watching as his smile vanished. 

"Truthfully Y/N, if you need anything, anything at all, please don't hesitate to call. I mean it." He said, his eyes searching yours, and you gulped, hating the fact that you were lying to him.

"I will, I promise." You told him, before sliding into your jeep and starting it. Pulling out of the garage, you saw him watching you, and you had a moments hesitation. Steeling yourself, you guided your jeep down the empty road, knowing this was for the best. That you needed some time to yourself, to distance yourself and get back to the Y/N you remembered.

_________________________________________

As you pulled into the cheesy looking hotel at the edge of town, you were feeling pretty good with yourself. The road trip had been exactly what you had needed, you were feeling clear headed and relaxed. After dropping your stuff of into the small and outdated single room, you changed into your FBI gear, heading straight for the victims house. After pulling up to the curb of a well to do house, you checked your phone, sighing when you saw a message from Dean. "Let me know when you make it. And if you change your mind, Baby's ready for a ride." He texted, with a wink at the end.

Shaking your head, you dropped your phone on the passenger seat, checking to make sure your gun had some silver bullets before knocking on the door. An aging lady opened the door, her face full of grief. "Can I help you?" She asked, and you showed her your badge.

After letting you in, she guided you into a lavish living room, and you sat on the edge of a white couch, afraid that you would dirty it from one touch.

"So, what can you tell me about your husband?" You asked her, and she sniffed into a tissue. 

"He was a good man. Very hard working. So hard working in fact that he climbed the corporate ladder faster than anyone else had ever done. He was proud of that fact, and the fact that he made a good life for us."

"Did you notice anything weird the days before he was killed?" You asked her, glancing around the room, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

"He was acting strangely." She told you, her eyes red with distress. "He seemed distant, and confused. Scared when there was nothing there. And the last day he locked himself in his study, refusing to come out at all."

After a couple more questions, you left the house, more confused than when you had arrived. It didn't sound anything like a werewolf attack, which brought you right back to square one. 

Grabbing a quick meal at a restaurant, you made your way back to your room, sitting down to do some work on your computer. And that's when you realized you had left your computer back at the Bunker. "Damn it." You muttered, knowing you would probably have to call Dean or Sam now, and ask for some help.

"Hello darling, anything I  can help with?" A British voice said from near your bed, and turning in one swift motion while pulling your gun out, you glared at the sharply dressed intruder.