Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

We're young and naive

And you're telling me

That someday we'll run off together

I'm starting to think, I'm stuck in a dream

Because we're young and we don't know better

Now I'm falling happily

Recklessly

Trying not to lose my sensibility

But gravity pulls me into you...

We're just a couple of kids.

-Couple of Kids ; Maggie Lindermann

- - - -

Our story ends just like how it began: with a ball. However, unlike the first one, which sealed the deal of the Hiragi-Ichinose arranged marriage, this one celebrated the finality of it.

The eerie feeling of déjà vu creeped up on Yuu as he entered the ballroom, decorated from floor to ceiling with crystal and diamonds, hand-in-hand with Shinoa, who seemed like she was uncomfortable holding his hand.

Join the club, he thought crossly.

Everyone gathered in the ballroom for the reception began to applaud for the new couple as they made their official entrance to the wedding reception, fake smiles plastered on their faces. Yuu scanned the crowds of people for his parents; they were situated at one of the tables, standing for the couple and applauding like everyone else.

Upon their grand entrance, the party could begin. The castle's musicians began to play a classical tune - a Bach sonata, Yuu recognized - which was the cue for the dancing to begin. Yuu's arm snaked around Shinoa's waist, pulling her towards him into the proper waltz position.

They sashayed around the dance floor, surrounded by other dancing couples. Yuu felt all eyes on him, watching him, judging him, making sure he didn't make a single mistake, but he shook it off and allowed his mind to go blank.

Time seemed to move in fast-motion, and before he knew it, they'd been dancing for hours. The cake had been cut and served, they'd graciously accepted their luxurious housewarming gifts (Yuu now had more candlestick sets and silver utensils than he ever could've wanted), and pleasantly thanked over a hundred guests for attending the reception. It was exhausting to say the least, and Yuu was grateful the party was slowing down with a slower, melodic tune to slow-dance to.

"So," Shinoa started as he twirled her around to the tempo of the music and dipped her to the ground. "Where'd you learn to dance like this? Last time I checked, you were a terrible dancer."

"Hey, I wasn't that bad," Yuu defended himself bemusedly. "I only stepped on your foot a couple times." When all she did was laugh in response, Yuu decided to risk it and answer her second question. "I learned from a friend," He added on quietly.

"That one guy, you mean," Shinoa deadpanned as they twirled between the other couples. The train of Shinoa's wedding gown got in the way, making Yuu question the point of making the dress so long. "Pretty boy. The one you were hooking up with."

"A princess does not say such vulgar terms such as hooking up," Yuu mocked both her and his family by feigning a fake pompous accent. He earned a laugh from Shinoa and a light smack to his shoulder.

"Shut up," She chuckled.

It sunk in that Shinoa had actually brought up Mika, and now there was an awkward silence looming over them, which made Yuu wonder if he should say something to explain himself. Apologize perhaps, give Shinoa some sort of closure.