Chapter One

Here's my first chapter, not all exciting, but most first chapters aren't. Anyway, enjoy

Months Earlier..

Fae McKenna walked slowly up the stairs, careful not to wake her daughter as she carried her upstairs. After spending the day with the entire family, and having her daughter run around with her cousins like a bunch of wild chickens, they were all exhausted. Having family over only one weekend a month was never enough time with each other, but work and the fact that they lived hours away, often put a damper on future plans . So, when they finally did come over, they always had the best time together.

Fae walked into her daughter’s room, and slowly made her way to the bed. After laying her down and carefully changing her into pajamas, she tucked her in and kissed her forehead.

“Sweet dreams, baby girl” she whispered into her hair.

Fae stayed in the room to watch her sleep. Lina was her world and she’d do anything to keep her happy. She had her at such a young age, and since she’d been living with her parents, they helped raise her.

After Lina turned one, Fae started working at grocery store and put all the money she made into a savings account; it wasn’t much, but the money added up overtime. Having her parents help raise lina allowed her to save money. She had wanted to save to buy a house for her and Lina, but instead of having to buy one herself, the house was given to her once she’d turned eighteen.

When her parents, Rick & Jacky McKenna had shown her the house, they’d argued that since she was now an adult, she should live on her own. Also, that she’d proven herself over the years, and knew she was capable of taking care of herself and her daughter.

Her parents knew they would never have to worry about Fae struggling financially. Fae was independent, strong and very stubborn, and she was so much like her father; she was a financial wizard.

Even if they hadn’t bought her the house, Fae still had the means to buy one since her family was wealthy; it was the one part of her life she kept to herself. Their family owned a lot of land and real estate throughout the U.S; even a couple resorts—one in Florida and another in California.

Fae sat in the desk chair and studied the picture Lina had drawn earlier. “My little artist” she whispered, and then looked around the room.

Lina was three when they moved in. Every room had been furnished except for her daughter’s room. She’d asked her parents to leave it empty because she wanted to decorate it herself. The room was girly and spacious; the walls were pink, the ceiling and crown molding painted white. A walk in closet also occupied the right wall farthest from the door.

Lina loved butterflies, so Fae had painted little white butterflies all over the room. She also had a plush, white carpet put in, soft enough for Lina to play on.

As Lina got older, the only changes made to the room were the furniture. A twin bed now stood against the wall opposite of the closet. The nightstand and dresser were both white, but her desk had been painted light pink. White lace curtains decorated the window, and colored pictures of unicorns and horses littered the top of her desk.

The only thing that didn’t fit was her rainbow lamp. She’d given it to her for her fourth birthday. Fae figured that she’d welcome a change of color since she was always surrounded by so much pink. Now at six, only a couple more colored pieces were added to the room décor; a poster of a monarch butterfly and a giant panda teddy bear I’d won for her at a fair.