15

Aftermath

Aftermath

The group was still standing in the courtyard, shocked.

Rick was in a trance.

Katie held the baby close to her chest, trying to soothe both the child and herself.

She knew that the infant wouldn't survive much longer without formula.

Daryl, Maggie, and Glenn were going out to find formula and other supplies the baby needed.

Daryl walked up to Katie and put his hands on her shoulders.

"You okay?" Daryl asked gently.

"I-I-I don't even know. I have to be," Katie stammered.

"Come'ere." Daryl said gruffly, pulling her into a hug, but trying not to crush the newborn in her arms.

"You don't gotta be strong all the time. Just keep it together till I get back. You can cry then. Understand?" Daryl said gently.

Katie nodded.

She and Daryl had a special relationship. Daryl protected her as though she were his little sister, but a little sister who he could tell dirty jokes to.

The three left the prison.

Rick got up and grabbed his ax and started running into the prison.

"Rick! Rick!" Katie called after him.

She was close to crying. She knew she couldn't but she felt like she had to.

"I can't lose you too," she whispered under her breath.

No one heard her.

She walked over to Carl.

"You want to hold her?" She asked with a weak smile.

Carl nodded and Katie placed the baby into his arms.

"You have the same eyes," Katie said softly.

"We've got our daddy's eyes," Carl said.

"Carl, are you okay?" Katie asked quietly.

"I'm fine," he said quickly.

"You don't have to be. I'm here for you. I'm always going to be here for you. I promise," Katie said.

Carl handed Katie the baby and pulled her into a tight hug.

Katie continued to hold him in her arms.

When he finally let go, he didn't say anything, he just left and went back towards the cell block.

"Carl! Be safe!" Katie called after him.

She sighed and looked at the baby girl in her arms.

"Don't worry, baby, I'm not going to let anything happen to you," Katie whispered.