XXIII: COOL KIDS

songs for the chapter;

white tiger by our last night

cool by troye sivan (again)

part of me by neck deep

chapter twenty three; cool kids.

Ava woke up due to the fact that she was still in skinny jeans. She wiped her eyes groggily, her hands limp since she was so tired, and as she waited for her eyes to focus again, she kept her stare at a Good Charlotte poster that was taped up against the door.

Wait, Ava realized, slowly stopping her movements, I don't have a Good Charlotte poster. At least not by my door.

She shot up vehemently, a sudden surge of worry and panic washing over her as irrational thoughts seeped into her brain like a tidal wave. Still being in her weird, trance-like sleepy state where her mind felt like it was high off of its balls, she couldn't form a single coherent thought and just slowly let her stress take over her until she figured out where she was. Now, normally, she could detect her surroundings quickly, like her eyes had photographically memorized each and every speck of dust and detail in the room. But now, she struggled to even remember her name. In the midst of her highly evident confusion, she somehow managed to disregard the boy who was shaking her gently by the shoulder.

"Aves," she heard and she turned her head blindly in the dark room, knocking her forehead against something hard before she let out a hiss of slight pain, hands flying up immediately to massage her bruising skin. "Ow! Ava, I think you broke my jaw. How thick is your skull?"

Letting out a gasp, she furrowed her eyebrows. The relief settled in and was quickly joined by post-nap irritation. She could barely see anything other than the moonlight as it streamed through the window, so she took a guess on where the voice was coming from and stared straight ahead into darkness. "Luke? Your chin is really sharp, okay? You need to get that checked, my forehead is bruising as we speak. My head hurts, do you have-"