Chapter 8- Change (2)

"The Billion-Dollar Marriage Contract" by Alyssa Urbano is available internationally through: Amazon, Kindle, Smashwords, CreateSpace, Barnes and Noble, Nook, Itunes/Ibooks.

For the Philippines, printing is per batch. You can pre-order and the books will be shipped to you.

Full details and links are on my blog: http://aerithsage.tumblr.com/tbdmc

*****************************************

CHAPTER 8- CHANGE (Part 2)

*****************************************

November 8, 2013 (Ten Years Later)
Cassia’s Penthouse Apartment
157 West 57th Street, New York City

“Good morning everyone! And we are back to our show, “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous!” This is your host Melanie.”

“...And Arthur Cornwell bidding you a great day ahead!”

Cassia brushed her teeth while pulling on her high-heeled shoes at the same time. She was running late for a presentation after oversleeping. The TV sounded in the background and she groaned loudly.

She forgot to flip the channel towards the news and was now stuck listening to a talk show that scrutinized lives of people she did not care about.

“And who is our celebrity for today, Melanie?” the co-host of the television show asked.

“He’s hot. He’s handsome. He’s dashing. He’s a debonair. He’s sex appeal on legs. Aaaand...he’s also one of the richest people in the world with a brain totally wired for business and making tons of money! Today, we’ll check out the life of the definitely rich and definitely famous, Nikoooos Demakis!”

Cassia muttered a muffled curse around her toothbrush. But somehow, she found herself gravitating towards the television to see what the show would say about her husband. The first part of the show described Nikos’ early life. He was described to be a very intelligent boy who always had excellent grades but was the most unruly child.

It was also discussed how Nikos’ parents married young and then weren’t quite ready to settle down in one place and build a family. Because of that, they left Nikos in Greece with his grandfather while they continued travelling the globe.

Cassia dismissed the information with a shrug. She already knew some things about Nikos’ past and why the hell would she want to know anything more?

She finished brushing her teeth and then started on fixing her makeup. She glanced at her watch and realized she still had time if she could forego her early morning caffeine fix.

It was a hard decision to make but she quickly decided that there was much more she needed to do rather than buy her usual coffee.

She sat on her sofa and then opened her laptop so she could check her presentation whether her designs were already good. She checked each slide for a flaw and smiled when she found none. The TV droned on and on in the background but she was too preoccupied to notice it.

 “Nikos Demakis is also known for the many supermodels, actresses, heiresses and other women that he dated!” the male host exclaimed.

“Who would blame him? He’s hot and he’s rich. I’d date him myself if he’d have me!” the woman replied with a giggle.

Cassia rolled her eyes at that. Women kept on throwing themselves at Nikos Demakis. They did not know the evil that lay beneath the face of a Greek god; that beneath the facade of an angel was the soul of a devil. They did not know the pain that he was capable of inflicting on someone.

Cassia shook her head to clear it of past bitterness. She stood up and decided she couldn’t go without her morning coffee after all. It was just that this time, she’d have to go and fix it herself instead of buying. With a sigh, she stood up and headed straight towards her kitchen to get the coffee maker working.

While she was waiting, she leaned her hip across the counter and listened to the show.

“Ahh...but that’s where the controversy lies. You see, Nikos Demakis is a married man. For nearly ten years now, he has been married to Cassia Andrade, the only heir of the Andrade fortune. The fact is that dozens of magazines, tabloids and paparazzi catch him in the arms of different women while he is currently married! And this is no rumor, mind you. For during the different balls and social functions he attends, it’s not his wife hanging on his arm but someone else!” the host called Melanie replied with a wry grimace.

“Ahh... The man likes to play the field, so to speak.”

“Yes. And rumors say he only sees his wife once a year. It’s on their wedding anniversary. No wonder there’s still no Demakis heir running around.”

The two hosts laughed and then a series of pictures of Nikos and the different bimbos he dated were flashed across the screen. Again, Cassia rolled her eyes and snorted. He hadn’t changed one bit.

But before, when there would have been a twinge in her chest at seeing those pictures, now there was none. She was really perfectly happy where she was. There was nothing that could take that happiness from her right now.

“Whoa. I could not believe the luck of this guy! He dated Marietta, the French Supermodel? There. Are. No. Words,” the male host said this in a tone filled with unconcealed envy.

“And all you can do is drool, huh, Arthur?”

“Just wait, Melanie. I’ll make myself a billionaire and then I’d play the field like that too,” Arthur laughed.

More images flashed and the hosts kept on discussing all the women that Nikos dated. Again, Cassia ignored it and focused on her laptop. Throughout the course of ten years, she’d read about Nikos and his conquests in all the magazines.

At first, it filled her with a burning need for vengeance along with the need to rip the magazine to shreds. But now, she was totally indifferent. One could even say that she’s become immune. She couldn’t care less which slut Nikos dated and what he did with his miserable life.

Cassia drank her coffee and suddenly, her day seemed brighter. With a smile on her face, she focused on her work and started editing her designs. Her hands flew across her tablet and the stylus came alive in her expert fingers.

However, her attention was snagged by the television when she saw a picture of her and Nikos from their wedding.

“Pathetic,” Cassia whispered to herself the moment she scrutinized the picture and saw that Nikos was clearly drunk while she was trying to appear as inconspicuous as possible.

Well, no more.

That Cassia was a thing of the past. She was dead now. And a totally new Cassia was in her place. She would never allow anyone to treat her the way she was treated all those years ago. She would never let anyone mock her.

She was successful now. During the past ten years, she had made a life for herself.

Her thoughts drifted back to ten years ago and towards the exact moment that she left Greece. She left with her heart broken, a great sense of injustice and a need for revenge.

Leaving Nikos caused an uproar and she was sure she would’ve been beaten to death by her grandfather had she stayed. Thankfully, she was able to book a flight to America with Antonio’s help and she was out of the country before the media got hold of their situation.

For a whole month, her grandfather called her. He shouted and cursed at her over the phone for her rash decision. She told him everything but he simply did not understand. He kept on repeating to her that it was her duty to stay by Nikos’ side. Finally, she had the courage and told him to fuck off for she was going to live her life the way she pleased.

Afterwards, Costas cut off all ties with her.

Technically, what that meant was that he cut off her credit cards, closed down her bank accounts and disowned her in front of the public media.

Well, good riddance!

********************************