Chapter Forty-One

Chapter's song: Don't be a fool by Shawn Mendes (OMG OMG listen to this song reading the chapter!) ❤

Bryan had to move his hand so I could pull my cell out. Ugh. Seth's face was in the screen. He was so dead. I rolled my eyes. "What, Seth?"

"Why are you so crabby?"

You just ruined my life. "What do you want?"

"Sheesh. Take a chill pill, Jess."

The grip on my phone tightened. "What. Do. You. Want."

"I just wanted to let you know that Amy is coming today. So please, behave as a normal sister. Please."

My heart warmed. I knew how shy Seth was when it came to girls. Inviting Amy over was a big deal for him. A small smile played in my lips. "I won't kick your ass if that's what you're worried about."

My little brother breathed out. "Okay. Thank you." His voice quivered and I felt bad for him. For a full second.

"I'll just show her your baby naked pictures!" I grinned as my brother cursed.

"Don't you dare, Jessica or I'll show Bryan your pictures when you had with braces!"

"There aren't any," I said in a sing-song voice before hanging up. I wasn't bluffing. I made sure to destroy them because I knew one day, Seth would use them against me.

Bryan laughed again. "I wouldn't want to be in Seth's shoes today," he quipped.

I gazed at the front. The water shimmered as if it was made of diamonds. "I won't show his girlfriend the pictures, I'm not that mean." I would totally use them for my advantage, though. Seth would be washing dishes for the next few weeks, for sure.

"You're a great sister, Jess." I turned to him. He smiled and my stomach felt as if the ice cream I ate was made of rocks. The moment was gone, and as much as I loved my brother, I wanted to strangle him for his timing.

"You've already said that."

"Because it's true."

We didn't talk much after that, but it wasn't a heavy or awkward silence. In a way, it was peaceful. After the week I had, at least I was happy to be around Bryan without trying to pull my hair out or wanting to punch him for being rude. We finished the ice cream and went back to the supermarket to do the shopping we needed for today's meal.

Amy showed up after three. She was incredibly gorgeous and extremely nice. I wondered why Seth hadn't brought her home sooner. The best part was how different he behaved around her. He wasn't swearing, he looked handsome in that red plaid shirt of his, and he was being chivalrous.

It was hard not to pick on him. I wasn't such a bad person, though.

I only did it when Amy was looking away. I'd stashed a bunch of his baby naked pictures on my jeans back pocket and I took one out whenever I could. Bryan would only smile at me at the same time Seth glared and clenched his jaw.

He deserved it after that stupid call at the worst time.

After coffee, Seth pretty much had it with me. I was finishing my chocolate mousse when he stood up. "Thank you so much for the meal, but we're going to the movies." He wasn't even looking at me. He was talking to Bryan.

"Are you sure? We're having so much fun!" We were. Seth was extremely ticked off but Amy had just finished telling me how they met.

Apparently, my little brother had knocked her off her feet with a basketball ball. Literally. He'd taken her to the infirmary and he stayed with her until she was good to go. He asked her out a month later.